Re: HVLP Technique discussion, with lacquer, oil enamel, latex

Hi Jerry,

You only have the thin the latex 20 - 30% with water. This is too get it thin enough to spray. This will not give you fine atomized particles which seems to be what you're expecting. If you were spraying lacquer, it would because you'd have the product much thinner.

Then you need to add Floetrol which is only added to slow down the drying time to allow the paint to level.

Try removing the Air Control Valve completely as this does restrict the air somewhat.

Adjust the spray fan to be a medium size (6 - 8") rather than a large pattern. This will allow the air to work on a smaller pattern.

Adjust the amount of paint to be less so once again, the air will be able to atomize it ok.

Don't hold the gun more than 8" away.

Spray a wet coat.

That's it!

There are better products to spray than Latex House Paint as I'm sure you're aware.

Good luck!

Paul

Thanks to all for the replies. A few follow ups based upon the discussion. >(I've also found the finishing forums at woodweb which might turn up >something as well) > >The info Fuji (and others) has online for latex is pretty minimal in >terms of actual details. The comments basically are thin it down, and then >"adjust the gun" to get the desired consistancy. I guess what I'm looking >for (with latex) is are people able to get a fairly fine spray? As I >mentioned, I'm getting something that I would call bimodal. A fine mist, >mixed with larger "macro" droplets. Not quite splattering, but definitely >not a fine pattern like I get with the conversion laq. What levels are some >of you adding water and floetrol? I know Preston mentions "15%-20% and some >floetrol", but for me it seems more like 30-40% water needed, at least with >this paint and temperatures. I haven't trued another batch with varying the >floetrol. While I'm at it, how much Penetrol are people using for spraying >oil based enamel? How much mineral spirits? (Benj Moore enamel). I'm >assuming the #3 tip will be reasonable for the enamel (although perhaps >slow, but that is good for me for control issues). > >What about film thickness? Does anyone else use a wet mil guage often, and >what would you spray (thinned) latex at? You ovbiously don't want it to >run, but too thin isn't good either. Since mine were coming in at ~2 mil >wet, I'm a bit concerned with final coating thickness and durability. > >Finally, what is peoples fealings recarding the precat lacquers (like >Magnalac and Magnamax if I can get it in gallons) vs a non reacting nitro >lacq.? I'm thinking of what to use on furniture down the road. > >Thanks! > >Jerry
Reply to
paul