Where's Rod Serling?

Bought one of those jazzy glue roller bottles the other day. Now I understand why Norm's projects drip and squeeze.
As I cleaned the shop I noticed the following on the cardboard insert:
"WARNING: Using hand tools can be dangerous. Always be careful and keep away from children. Use protective eyewear at all times and select the right tool for the job."
It's a flippin glue bottle!!!!
*snip*

The reason for eye protection is not because the bottle will harm you, but to remind yourself not to rub your eye with your gluey hands...
Puckdropper

Reading tiny fine print on warning labels might damage your eyesight! In fact your mind might be attacked by reading these lines. You can't be too careful! Look down- watch your feet. Look up-watch that beam. Wear ear plugs-even when there's no noise. Listen for- warning signs.

... and remember, every product, everywhere has components that have been determined by the state of California to cause cancer
I just bought a Creative Zen Nano Plus mp3 player and in the manual it says
WARNING: The cord(s) included with this product may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.
-
On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 22:49:59 -0500, bent wrote:

Yeah, that's the famous California Chicken Little Warning--almost _everything_ sold in CA is required by law to have that warning or a similar one on it. It's so ubiquitous that it destroys the utility of such warnings.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
: I just bought a Creative Zen Nano Plus mp3 player and in the manual it says
: WARNING: The cord(s) included with this product may contain chemicals known : to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other : reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.
One of those is lead. It's apparently put into PVC to make it flexible for things like appliance cords (and artificial Christmas trees). No regulation in China on how much is allowed (there is in the US, but I'd be surprised if many appliance cords are made here).
    -- Andy Barss
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 05:29:30 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

As time passes, there's going to be so much unhappiness with some aspects of product performance for the lack of lead in a product.
Anyone see the story on History (or was it Discover) channel about what happens when lead isn't in solder? Tin whiskering. That's going to cause some of our high tech gadgets to no work.
And lead in PVC. Cord flex life is already a problem. Take lead out and it's gonna get bigger.

Too true. Some warning labels I've put under a microscope to read, the damn printing is so small.

Well, there you go, just paying no attention to important safety concerns. I would never use a glue bottle without eye protection. Why, what if you wanted to know how much glue was in that bottle? Of course, you'd hold it up to your eye and tilt it up to the light so you could see inside, wouldn't you? And the next thing you know, all that glue would just come pouring out right into your eye, and then where would you be?
It's careless people like you who give woodworking a bad reputation for safety. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Next, I suppose you'll tell us that you don't where hearing protection when you use a screwdriver.
To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com
John
Next, I suppose you'll tell us that you

Of course I do. What would happen if the hammer slipped?
--

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
John Lennon

Sounds like an opportunity for GlueStop, Inc., to petitition the Consumer Products Safety Commission, to mandate use of their proprietary device on all glue bottles!
Kevin
John wrote:

You're from Minnesota right? Probably one of them Lutherans (s?).
Do you live any whee near Lake Wobegon?
Do you know Garrison Keilor?
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

I'm all for clear, uncomplicated, forceful warnings when the danger is real. I will always remember the large sign on the gate of a "safari park" (you drive around in your car and see the lions, tigers, etc roaming around unhindered) I took my daughter to. WARNING! GIVEN HALF A CHANCE THESE ANIMALS WILL KILL YOU! No rolled down windows that day, I guarantee you.
FoggyTown
George wrote: Always be careful and keep away from children.
Sage advice.
;-)
--

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.