Where can I buy Metric Sizes Dowel Rod?

Page 1 of 2
Can some tell me where I could buy metric dimensions dowel rod and Thanks
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:40:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) wrote:

It might be easier to acquire the nearest (larger) size locally and run them through a self made dowel pop.
Drill out a piece of found steel with a metric drill bit of the appropriate diameter. Follow with a larger bit to create a countersink shape, allowing the larger bit to just touch the downside opening created by the original bit, without increasing the original bore's diameter.
Hammer the slightly oversized stock through.
You can actually dispense with the acquisition of the original dowel stock and simply rip squared pieces out on the saw, to a width slightly greater than the desired diameter.
Hammer through your dowel pop and you are done.
Regards, Tom.
Thank you for replying, this what I'm thinking:
I need a few lengths 8mm dowel rods and about 14 inches long. 8mm is 0.3149", I could not use 5/16" (0.3125") dowel rods. If I use 3/8" (0.375") it would be inpossible to force it into 0.3149" hole and get a good smooth finished.
How about reduce it twice using two two jigs (or steel) reducing it 1/32" at each go?
Thank you again.

Puzzled. Why metric dowel versus SAE bit if you're making something yourself?

Customer's project calls for metric dimension, please don't ask me what am I making :-).
Do you know where I could buy metric sizes dowel rod or another suggestions? I have look into Lee Valley's dowel maker and they are SAE sizes and not adjustable.

Sat, Oct 16, 2004, 3:21pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) responds to::
Puzzled. Why metric dowel versus SAE bit if you're making something yourself? with: Customer's project calls for metric dimension, please don't ask me what am I making :-).
OK, I'll ask instead. Whatcha making? And, why is metric "required"?
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:38:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:
Awe! It's nothing that will be of any interest to anyone here. How come all of a sudden you are so interested?
"Don't ask, don't tell" :-)
In replying to Doug Miller post, 5/16" (0.313") is smaller than 8mm (0.315") and almost undistinguishable. I'll ask customer using your rational explanation and see if that's OK.
Thanks, I appreciate it very much.

Sat, Oct 16, 2004, 4:51pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) queries: Awe! It's nothing that will be of any interest to anyone here. How come all of a sudden you are so interested? <snip>
Because I think it's so incredibly hokey yout client "needs" that close a tolerence on wooden dowels.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:03:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Customers are King, they provide bread and butter on the table, unless of course you prefer to go hungry :-).
Thanks JOAT and everyone, do have a good weekend!

Yes they are. Sometimes the King Customer writes silly specs though. Or they are just not informed of certain limitations or material availability.
The supplier has an obligation to the customer to provide a product, but also expertise. I've seen many a design that looked good on paper, but with a little change, the cost cold be cut 10% or 50% because of tooling consideration, machine utilization, material savings, etc.
You customer may be the best Widget maker in the world, but if he wants some Burfls, and knows little of them, he may spec the wrong sizes. Instance recently. Customer sent us a drawing of a part he wanted molded. Two parts could be made at the same time and the final price was 90 each. We suggested he cut the size by 1/2" and the part could be made for 60 each. Thirty cents is not a lot of money, but when you buy 50,000 of them at a time, it sure its. Reducing the parts size allows us to make 4 in the same time, same labor, about the same utilities.
It is worth a phone call to find out if he a really needs the metric size. As mentioned about the differences in some being so slight, it may just be a matter of asking for a larger +/- in the specs.
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:03:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Might not be a need for tolerance as much as a client that thinks in metric..
Sat, Oct 16, 2004, 3:21pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) responds to::
Puzzled. Why metric dowel versus SAE bit if you're making something yourself? with: Customer's project calls for metric dimension, please don't ask me what am I making :-).
OK, I'll ask instead. Whatcha making? And, why is metric "required"?
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker

8mm is all of twenty-five ten-thousandths of an inch larger than 5/16". *Nobody* will be able to tell the difference just by looking. Do you *really* think your customer is going to put a caliper on the dowels to check?
More things to consider:
1) Depending on where they were sourced from, nominal 5/16" dowels may be actual 8mm anyway -- have *you* put a caliper on the dowels available from your suppliers to see how big they really are?
2) In my experience, the tolerances used in the manufacture of dowels are loose enough that there will easily be several thousandths variation in diameter from rod to rod -- and even on the *same* rod, depending on whether you measure along, or across, the grain.
3) You could point out these facts to the customer, and ask if 5/16" is an acceptable substitute.
Howdy!

Hah! I've seen dowels that were more like a full thirty-second undersize.
yours, Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix
I can only suggest making a dowel sizing plate with metric dimensions. You really don't need great steel.

Sat, Oct 16, 2004, 1:40am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) apparently asks: Can some tell me where I could buy metric dimensions dowel rod and Thanks
Buying slightly oversize, and a few swipes with sandpaper won't work?
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:06:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:
Nope! Tried that and it looks like shit (sorry).
Thanks anyway, If I have no other alternative I will try Tom suggestion. Instead of hammering the oversize dowel into the metal die or jig, I will use a drill and slowly force it into the die to get the metric dia. I need.
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:40:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) wrote:

What's with people referring to dowels as dowel rods?
Main Entry: dowel 1 : ... a round ROD or stick used especially for cutting up into dowels
Main Entry: redundant 1 a : ...SUPERFLUOUS b : ...c : characterized by similarity or repetition
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
It would be impertinent to call them "L" rods?
(BlueDude)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:37:43 +0100, LRod

They've always been sold as dowel rods or dowel pins, the difference being the length, with the pins usually coming in shorter, ready to use lengths and the rod coming in longer lengths, usually needing to be cut before use.
Regards, Tom.