when is it too cold to work?

It's called following distance. The wisest among us try to maintain it. You probably *are* cutting them off to an extent, as far as eating up the cushion they're trying to maintain, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

There's one spot on my regular route where I have to come off a clover leaf and then make it across four lanes of traffic to the extreme left within about 1/4 mile. That gets interesting sometimes.

Actually, there are *two* such places I can think of.

Tell me about it. Milepost 279 on I-40. Why the hell can't those idiots figure out that the right two lanes exit off, and the left two lanes go through? WHY???

Been there, done that. Hooo boy, have I ever. Try passing on a two-lane road in a non-flat part of the country in a tractor-trailer too. It can be done, but it's extremely difficult to find a spot with enough sight distance to do so safely, and finding such spots at a moment when there is no on-coming traffic is damn near impossible.

(And when you finally get around Grandpa after 50 miles of torment, you look in the mirror to see if you're clear, and see that he's in the process of turning off.)

I could spend a couple of hours scaring the hell out of you with blind spot stories, but for the sake of argument, we'll just assume that particular driver was a total maniac and let it go.

Reply to
Silvan

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 12:03:15 -0500, Silvan scribbled

IMNSHO, something slowing down heat transfer is better than nothing, especially higher up and on the ceiling. Behind the cabinets is probably not as important. There is some insulation value already, albeit not very efficient. Also, you could put some styrofoam outside on the vertical portion of the walls. Think of reusing it on your future ceiling/roof.

Luigi The wreck's self-proclaimed expert on cold weather. Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address. Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

The most you can get on a single circuit is about 1500 watts or 5,200 Btu A small propane heater puts out 30,000 Btu. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

The people that get me are the ones who drive next to a truck for miles on end.

I don't care how good an operator a trucker may be, there are things that happen where they can't keep the truck in lane. Sudden cross winds are a good example.

Not all trucks are in the best of repair. Slacks go out of adjustment causing brakes to pull. Tires have been known to part from rims.

Mayhaps it's because I'm paranoid, or because I've ridden motorcycle off and on for 20 years that I've had occasion to imagine what would be left of me if I tangled with a heavy truck. Damnit if I'm going to make a pass I'm going to get the hell around trucks with haste and never ride/ drive next to one longer than I have to.

Reply to
Mark

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 04:06:28 -0500, Silvan scribbled

Why do you need a dryer? We use a solar-aeolian dryer during the summer and hang the clothes in the furnace/laundry room during the winter. Electric dryers use an incredible amount of electricity. When I got my tablesaw (a month after moving into this house), it was either a 220 plug for the saw or the dryer. The saw won. We haven't missed the dryer. Even now that I have a subpanel in the shop and the dryer is reconnected, it still doesn't get any use.

Not necessarily kick ass, just some insulation (and maybe some goop to seal the holes where air can get out/in).

Luigi Zanasi

I just got back from northern Va. last night....There was about 4-5 inches on the ground. None here in SE VA any way.......Brian

Reply to
Brian in Hampton

I can push it to 2250 watts for extended periods without tripping the breaker. 20A circuit, 10 ga. wire, short run to the panel. So that would scale out to 7,800 BTUs in something like 600 cu. ft. of space.

I definitely need propane. Those portable units seem expensive to run though, and I can't really see doing that when I have a 300 gal. tank sitting there. It looks to cost about $3-400 to get a heater and plumb it back to the tank, but I haven't got any measured drawings or firm estimates yet; just ballpark figures from people who sound like the'll be happy if I don't call them back.

Maybe tax time. Heat or table saw, table saw or heat... Sigh.

Reply to
Silvan

Yes they do, but there's not really much choice. SWMBO has a lot of stuff she has to air dry. It gets moldy long before it gets dry. Yuck. I'd give up the oven first. That's what microwaves are for anyway. :)

I think I'm going to go nuts with a couple cans of Great Stuff and some airplane tape and see how far that gets me. The building really does leak air like a sieve.

Reply to
Silvan

FWIW, even though I'm driving a truck myself, I echo everything you just said wholeheartedly. The situation changes somewhat in thick, slow traffic, but at highway speeds I never dawdle beside another truck any longer than I have to. Makes me edgy. Since I'm wider than you, the chances of him slipping into my lane and bumping me go way up, and if your right mirror gets torn off, you're in for a bad day. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Silvan

Cardboard... That's a good, cheap thought.

I have the door leak controlled somewhat. I nailed a thick comforter across the doorway, and it really cuts down on air infiltration. Sort of like your strip idea, but I can't see through it.

I definitely need a replacement. There are some holes in the T11 where I poked my finger through by accident. The spring rains, and the summer rains, and the fall rains. I found active termite colonies doing their bit. Half of it sits on an un-sealed slab 1/2" off the ground, and half of it sits 1/2" below grade, with the supports directly on the ground. The previous owners were old, they were cheap, and it lasted all they needed it to last, but it sure isn't much good now.

So I'm just hoping I don't fall through the floor for another two years or so, until I can do something else.

Small travel trailer, maybe. Anything bigger is out. I don't actually own half of one side yard. The government bought it as a right-of-way for a power line they had to relocate to my side of the street. Somehow, they never offer to come cut that part of the grass. The other side yard is where I play ball with my boy. Some things are more important than workshops.

Reply to
Silvan

Propane is a little over 91,000 Btu per gallon. A 30,000 Btu heater will run maybe 15 hours on a small tank. I pay $7.50 for a tank or a half a buck an hour. At 30 degrees outdoor, I run about h alf the time I'm in the shop. At 20 degrees and windy, I run about 75% of the time. YMMV. Portable heater, about $100.

It looks to cost about $3-400 to get a heater and plumb it

Sounds about right.

Tablesaw! ! ! Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Stick hauler? Lumber? Logs? Is this and OWWR?

I've known a couple of log truck drivers who have died when the load overran the cab. Usually their own fault, though. Sixty mph+ on dirt logging roads just aint smart.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 16:27:03 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) scribbled

JOAT is right. I've got 2 ceramic heaters going in my 14'X28' shop right now and the shop is at about 15 degrees (60 Fahrenheit, Keith). It's -14 outside (7 Fahrenheit, Keith).

There are 4 doors in my shop - a garage door and a regular door on the front side, and two doors in the back (one into the greenhouse). No weatherstripping. No insulation on the ceiling, as there is an unheated solarium above the garage.

Luigi Zanasi

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:56:23 -0800, Luigi Zanasi brought forth from the murky depths:

Ah, WeeGee is "Strong like ox, smart like tractor!" when it comes to insulation, isn't he?

That's a right -purty- ice palace, though.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When you nick yourself and can't feel it. At all. And the blood doesn't flow because it's coagualed already? That's when it's time to go in.

Reply to
NFrames

I came into some serious cash, so now I have five, count'em, $5 in my pocket. Plus some loose change! :)

I'll have to think about this.. Lots of wild thoughts. Thanks for opening the box.

Reply to
Silvan

Furniture, man, furniture. We stick haulers, as a rule, don't need no stinkin' training wheels, so we drive 14-wheelers. Saves on tolls, saves on taxes. We're rated to haul only 56,000, which is less than we *could* haul, and a lot more than we ever do. I've never scaled out in seven years, and don't remember how to slide tandems. Some guy asked one time, and I had to just throw up my hands and say "Man, I'm a stick hauler. I have no idea how to do that anymore."

I don't think I'd ever consider hauling logs for the simple reason that the DOT cops seem to love them so very, very much.

Reply to
Silvan

I believe this is a matter of personal preference. For me, it is too cold to work, exactly one degree below when it is too hot to work.

Reply to
Brooks Gregory

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:08:02 GMT, Larry Jaques scribbled

Yabbut, yabbut, I pulled off the blown-in cellulose fibre ceiling insulation after it got wet and water was dripping on my tools. I had paid good money to insulate, vapour barrier, strap and drywall that ceiling. This was before I built the solarium and the space above the shop was a deck. That and the weatherstripping are suffering from the same problem as your bow saw.

Tenjooberrymoosh.

Luigi Zanasi

Can't blame 'em, really. A lot of the log haulers I've known seem to delight in driving 7 day a week, 18-20 hours a day on icy roads with one headlight out, broken springs and bald tires traveling 25 over the limit while hauling 15,000 lbs over weight. I've heard of those guys getting DOT tickets in excess of $3,500 and just paying it as a routine cost of doing business. When hauling logs was profitable it was *really* profitable.

Of course this was NE Washington state, local mileage may vary.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass