wheel guage any good?

I am thinking of investing in a Veritas wheel marking guage. Anyone use such a thing? Is it any good?
TIA
Steve

Steve, I have the cheaper model from Woodcraft and found it very difficult to set accurately. Another thing is that the fine line it cuts is difficult to see (old age, I guess) :) If your eyes are good, you may want to spent the extra $$ for the micro adjusting model. Just my 2 cents.
Big John
There is a thin line between hobby & mental illness.
Take out the TRASH for E-mail.

The micro-adjustable wheeled marking gauge Veritas has looks like it was inspired by the Glenn Drake Tite-Mark. I have the Tite-Mark and it's a very refined version of the old wheeled marking gauge. Hardened steel rod, flat bottom grooved so the locking screws, which have nice big gnurled (sp?) nob, get a good bite on the rod - without dinging it, a nylon adjustable friction screw which lets you set how things slide - well thought out tool. The lock knobs are large enough to prevent the tool from rolling more than one rev- olution. IF you keep the tool more than one revolution from the edge of your bench it can't roll off onto the floor. Less than one revolution and the tool WILL roll off onto the floor - AND the harded marking wheel WILL chip (DAMHIKT)
Don't know about the Veritas version but the Tite-Mark has an accessory which really enhances the tool - a pair of mortise/ tenon marking wheels which slide onto the steel rod and can be locked into the groove in the rod with set screws. Gives you the double liine scribing capabilities of a dual pin marking gauge but with micro-positioning AND a single beveled wheel marked line.
The Veritas micro-adjustable wheeled marking gauge looks like a good tool. I know the Tite-Mark is a great tool. Have a look at this page with more on this tool - text really can't describe this tool and its use.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MTprimer10b.html I have no connection to Glenn Drake or Tite-Mark other than being a very satisfied customer.
charlie b
Steve Bak wrote:

Yes.
Yes.
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg
I have one and I think its great. But I also got a Tite-Mark and I think its 10 times better. (At less than 10 times the cost. But not by much)
-JBB

Agreed.
Dave

Dave (and others) extolled the virtues of the Tit-Mark wheel marking guage: So I ask.....
Can anyone put me on to a source for the Tite-Mark in the UK?
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@unity.ncsu.edu says...

I've got a couple of the old Stanley 98s - they work pretty good :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Do you own a file?

<snip descriptions of tools>

I don't have either one, and if I did, the answer to this question might be obvious, but -
Wouldn't a few minutes with a file take care of that problem?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

I have two and like them a lot.
Barry
I chipped the wheel on mine when it rocked in the groove in hard maple. If you can keep it square to the stock, it does just fine.
It's my favorite marking gauge, and I've got a few.
Kevin
--
=====
Where are those Iraqi WMDs, NOW?