What size dadoe?

I am shopping for a dadoe blade and noticed that they come in either 6" or 8 ". I have a 10" contractors saw and need guidance on which to purchase.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
Tom Young

Don't get the kind that wobbles. Get a stackable.

Reply to
Sammy

A 6 inch is fine for a TS, a 8" should be used for the RAS.

Reply to
Rumpty

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 06:45:09 -0500, "Tom Young" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

The usual rule of thumb for a stacked dado set is this. for contractor types, get a 6" for cabinet types get an 8" reason being, it takes less HP to spin the smaller blades.

get the biggest set your saw can handle.

that said, i have an 8" set on my contractors saw, i purchased mine before i learned this "rule" my TS does not have much trouble running the larger size, but as i have never had need of a deeper dado than 3/4" , the 6" would have been fine.

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Tom,

Good suggestions in the other posts I've read so far. A good stackable dado setup will serve you well for a long time so long as its not abused. Even when I had my Delta CS, I decided on the 8" Freud 508. I was told that the motor on the CS wasn't enough to swing that much mass when fully loaded - horse pucky, it worked like a charm and never slowed down even on hard maple.

You may not need the extra depth an 8" set provides but I did. Eventually you may upgrade to a cabinet saw (3HP) and may need the extra depth for making large mortises, half-laps etc. Exactly what I did and don't regret spending the extra $50 for the 8". If you don't think you'll upgrade or ever need the extra depth - then the 6" will satisfy your needs.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

What is the deepest dado that you indend to cut? If most of your dados will be less than an inch deep, the 6 inch blade will most likely be just fine and will save you a few bucks.

Gene

Reply to
Gene