What size dadoe?

I am shopping for a dadoe blade and noticed that they come in either 6" or 8 ". I have a 10" contractors saw and need guidance on which to purchase.
Thanks
Tom
Don't get the kind that wobbles. Get a stackable.

8
A 6 inch is fine for a TS, a 8" should be used for the RAS.
--
Rumpty

Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

The usual rule of thumb for a stacked dado set is this. for contractor types, get a 6" for cabinet types get an 8" reason being, it takes less HP to spin the smaller blades.
get the biggest set your saw can handle.
that said, i have an 8" set on my contractors saw, i purchased mine before i learned this "rule" my TS does not have much trouble running the larger size, but as i have never had need of a deeper dado than 3/4" , the 6" would have been fine.
Traves
Tom,
Good suggestions in the other posts I've read so far. A good stackable dado setup will serve you well for a long time so long as its not abused. Even when I had my Delta CS, I decided on the 8" Freud 508. I was told that the motor on the CS wasn't enough to swing that much mass when fully loaded - horse pucky, it worked like a charm and never slowed down even on hard maple.
You may not need the extra depth an 8" set provides but I did. Eventually you may upgrade to a cabinet saw (3HP) and may need the extra depth for making large mortises, half-laps etc. Exactly what I did and don't regret spending the extra $50 for the 8". If you don't think you'll upgrade or ever need the extra depth - then the 6" will satisfy your needs.
Bob S.

8
What is the deepest dado that you indend to cut? If most of your dados will be less than an inch deep, the 6 inch blade will most likely be just fine and will save you a few bucks.
Gene

8