problems coping mullion ends

I'm having a problem coping the ends of small mullions on the router table. The horizontal mullions are only 5" long and I'm using 1/2 X

3/4 stock. I'm using a block of wood with the profile cut in it as a carrige jig to hold the mullion secure, and to prevet break out on the edge. I move the mullion and carrige block through the router bit by holding the mullion and carrige against the fence at 90 degrees and while pushing it across the router bit with the miter gauge.

The problem I'm having is that the router bit pulls the mullion out of the carrige slightly and causes the cope to be uneven, leaving a slight gap on one side of the cope when the mullions are fit in the door against the rails and center mullion. I've tried clamping the mullions to the carrige but the mullions are so small that clamp doesn't grip the piece well enough to prevent movement. I would cope the ends first and then do the rabbit etc. second but the piece is too small to push through the router. My next step would be to nail the mullion to the carrige block. Is there any other way? Thanks

Reply to
CJ

On 2 Oct 2003 05:10:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (CJ) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

it sounds as if you might have too large an opening in your router fence. i had similar troubles the first time i cut rail and stile doors with my old RT fence.

try to make a sled for cutting end grain like that. use a piece of 1/2" plywood about 10" square.

mount a "backer board" about 5" or so from the left side edge, and get a toggle clamp from your local woodworkers supply place (rockler, woodcraft. . .) that can lock the piece to the sled while you concentrate on keeping all your fingers the same length :)

you also might think about sticking a strip of sandpaper to the face of the backerboard, this does wonders to help hold the piece in place.

so, smaller fence opening, sled, clamp and sandpaper. . . hope this gives you some ideas. . .

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Had the same problem with the shaper ,solution ,glue a piece of sandpaper to the front of the miter gauge it will stop movement even with simple hand hold pressure .

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

CJ,

Get some 120 grit PSA backed sandpaper and attach it to your carriage. Now when you hold the mullion against the carrier, it will not slip. Also, think about using a zero-clearance insert around the router bit which will also help to keep the workpiece perpendicular to the router bit during its travel past the bit.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

CJ Do you not Have a bearing on your coping cutter ??? George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka