What should I use to finish a hickory cane?

I have been working on a hickory root ball cane and am just about ready to begin finishing it. I only have linseed oil on hand but find it leaves an unnatractive finish, and the hickory isn't too pretty to begin with.

I had planned on using a walnut oil finish because I have watched a friend use it with very good results on his own sticks and I like how it looks, but I do not know how penetrative/protective it is, and whether or not it will go rancid eventually and ruin the piece. It has been 18 months since my friend begin walnut oiling his stick and it looks and smells fine without any signs of going rancid.

Can I expect similar results from using walnut oil? Or should I try and old standby like tung oil?

Reply to
CaptainShagrat

On 27 Oct 2003 21:15:11 -0800, captain snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (CaptainShagrat) brought forth from the murky depths:

For the best feel, go with Watco natural. Coat, dry, buff, and fondle until you get the feeling you're looking for with a medium matte sheen.

Reply to
Larry Jaques