Simon Watts ripped off

Simon Watts has been writing about woodworking for a long time so I thought others on the NG might be interested in the follwoing article in today's SF Chronicle:

Bill Ranseen

Sounds like a miscommunication of some sort rather than a deliberate crime.

Reply to
AL

Really strange. It they moved the wrong address, I would think someone would notice and things get sorted out. Really amazing what can go on and nobody sees a thing.

John

Bill Ranseen wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

It could be that the thieves knew that Simon would be gone for some time and they were going to see if they could rent or sell the place to some unsuspecting soul with a healthy cash up front deal......

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

This happened to one of my friends. Gone for a weekend and returned to an empty house. Sucks.

It's the more personal items that are stolen that have me wondering what that's all about. Things like photographs, mementos of your kids early years and so on.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Reply to
BRuce

In Houston, circa 1982-1983, it was common for thieves to knock down the back fence in a new, unfinished subdivision, back a truck up to the back door, and raid a new, freshly-furnished home. They only took valuable stuff though. It's odd that someone would take the time and incur the risk of taking everything.

It's unlikely a move "made a mistake" because they'd need keys etc., and the timing is to fortuitous. If I was thedetective, I'd be all over the housesitter and his/her contacts.

That said, anybody want to buy some fine furniture pieces, old pics, etc?

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt