What's this about Norm Retiring.

Page 1 of 6
Where did this bit of information come from?
The Old Goat Candler County's Leading Producer of Sawdust

Given that production for the 2005 season is in full swing (available on the shop-cam at http://www.newyankee.com ) it's not soon. It's possible that it could be the last season, but I don't think anything has been publicized about it.
More likely, it's just poetic puffery employed for the purpose of the piece paraphrased (gawd I love alliteration).
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Nattering Nabob of Norm!

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:54:40 GMT, Lobby Dosser

Well done.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod wrote:

Actually, he's quoting Sprio T Agnew, Nixon's first Vice President. Spiro it seems was fed printed scripts to memorize and repeat, attacking "liberals" and anyone else who questioned or opposed a Nixionian interpretation of democracy. Mr. Agnew was indicted for taking bribes while he was governor of his state, pleaded "no contest" AFTER resigning the vice presidency. Gerald Ford became the first non-elected vice president to pardon a former president - Nixon, after Nixon resigned in disgrace - one step ahead of impeachment.
I'm not certain, but I think Nixon's administration was the first to have a president AND vice president resign in disgrace.
Given the choice of a president who is less than discreet with his sexual indiscretions and a mean spirited president like Mr. Nixon, I'll go with the former every time.
charlie b
oxymorin #4216461 Reagan Memoirs

Since Nixon is the _only_ President ever to resign, this _must_ be true.

I presume you're comparing Nixon to JFK here. What about a President who is an indiscreet womanizer _and_ even more of a vindictive SOB than Nixon ever dreamed of being?
Hey, don't forget that FDR messed around a bit too. ER was not all that bad when young, either. Wilson
wrote:

is an

Doug Miller wrote:

I don't recall Marilyn Monroe producing a semen-stained dress for the perusal of the Congress while JFK was in office. Seems to me that he was a good deal more "discreet" than a certain recent occupant of the Oval Office. And had a Hell of a lot better taste.

--
--John

...and he didn't go on TV, look the world in the eye, and say "I want you to listen to this. I did not...", and then repeat the same lie to congress. Under oath.
That having been said, if JFK hadn't been killed in office, he'd be just another footnote in history.
Dave Hinz wrote: [snip]

JFK had intelligence, was erudite, and most beneficial to his legacy, charisma. Clinton approached his intelligence and erudition and Reagan his charisma. Other than that, we have had bupkus.     j4
No inclination to digress with this group - Huh!
(say, how is old Norm?)

Paraphrasing, actually. Agnew's line was "nattering nabobs of negativism."
What I was really praising LDM for was his sublime triple entendre. The first, of course is the alliteration. The second, the play on the subject matter. The third, my apparently not so well known website devoted to Norm and his tools.
You don't have to tell me about Nixon and Agnew; I lived it. I didn't think things could get any worse until Reagan was elected. After that disaster, I thought we were safe, until Bush sub 2 was appointed.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

I thought that we, up here in Canada, had some brain dead prime ministers totally lacking in class and suffering from verbal diarrhoea and mental constipation. Your presidents down there are just as bad.
I have to say, however, that these political pissants are not the ones that I hate the most. That honour is reserved for the invisible "puppeteers" who are the real powers dictating policy that affect our lives. The presidents and the prime ministers are nothing more than high-profile errand boys who, when they don't follow directions, are assassinated like the Kennedys and Reagan (almost).
Gerry
P.S. If you think I'm wrong, ask yourself if a mental midget like Bush (or Ford or Reagan, for that matter) would have the smarts enough to get into /and/ /keep/ the top job in the country *by* *himself*. No, look for the puppeteers.

Time to readjust the tin-foil lining in your hat, Gerry.
Time to refrain from insults and actually think /for/ /a/ /change/.
Gerry

Who, exactly, were the puppeteers that got Gerald Ford elected to the Presidency?
As for Reagan and Bush, they are/were not mental midgets. That is you casting them in your image.
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
Al Reid wrote:

The big problem with elected government is that the skills necessary to _get_ the job are not the same as the skills necessary to _do_ the job. So what we get are people who are experts at getting elected. One doesn't have to be a genius to get elected anymore than one has to be a genius to get rich. Just have to want it bad enough to learn how to do it and take the hard knocks that you get while learning and be observant enough to pick up on what the people who are succeeding are doing.
--
--John

That was nicely verbalised. That says it all. Most voters never quite understand this fundamental paradox.
As far as I'm concerned, John has hit the nail on the head.
Gerry < trying to bring it back on topic >
Al Reid asks:

When was Ford elected President?

No, not really. Reagan was probably the kind of guy you'd love to spend time with, bullshit a bit, and realize he was dapper, fun and lived off lines written by others. Bush, on the other hand...well, he's on the other hand. He should wear a dunce cap.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

He was NEVER elected president. That was my point in asking Gerry the question. He lumped the three together without knowing the facts.

Here, we will have to agree to disagree.