What's this manhole?

I noticed a round metal cover in our loo this morning, its approx 5 inch diameter. I've lifted it and there's rusty looking water water in it, it could be water that's leaked into it because it doesn't seem to go anywhere and flushing the nearby loo has no effect. If I prod with a stick it's about a foot deep and there seems to be another cover as there's a metallic thud.

I'll have to get the water out to investigate further but any ideas? Water meter?

Reply to
Rick

Rick scribbled...

Someone taking too many iron tablets?

Reply to
Jabba

Could be a stop tap...

Reply to
Bob Eager

A rodding point ?

Reply to
sm_jamieson

There is a stopcock at the other side of the property.

Reply to
R D S

Could your house have been extended to cover a pre-existing outside stopcock?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've known there be more than one...we have a disused gas valve on one side of the property, and the 'real' one on the other side...

Reply to
Bob Eager

You need to chew your food more thoroughly, and back off on the iron tablets.

Eastern style squat and shit in your trousers style bog that was never finished?

Reply to
Gazz

How comes nobody noticed this before, when they were cleaning the toilet ?

You say its a manhole cover, but only 5 inches across.

So did you notice anything unusual about the people you bought the house from ?

michael adams

michael adams

So, how long have you been at this property?

I take it you mean the cover is in the floor of a room housing a toilet. Is it on the ground floor?

Does it have any markings? Did you need tools to lift the cover?

What do you know about the drainage and water supply piping in the property?

Can you tell if the water is from a supply or waste pipe, or simply ground water?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If it's slightly elliptical then it will be a rodding point the flap you are pushing against is probably an anti - back flow valve. As for the water in it it's probably whatever has been flushed down the toilet last.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

could be a service isolation valve ..

Reply to
Rick Hughes

the water out to investigate further but any ideas?

I found them in France ... so not just Eastern ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Photos mate:-)

Reply to
ARW

anywhere and

I have one in my integral garage. It's a ridding point with a double seal so it is OK to install indoors. Can't remember how the second one comes out now but it wasn't difficult to remove. Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

A manhole 5" in diameter? I assume you live in Lilliput?

Seriously - as others have said - it's going to be some sort of rodding access.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Fuck that, i'd have to clean up!

Reply to
R D S

It's in our workshop (commercial property). I chuck some bleach in the pan occasionally. Beyond that it's rather neglected. There was a can of paint covering it, I only noticed it when the can was displaced.

I was guessing at 5 inch, I didn't have a tape measure handy. It's larger than a standard drain though so probably at least 6 inch.

Reply to
R D S

About 4 months, it's a shop FWIW.

Correct, by loo I mean (I think) water closet?

It has no markings but has a hole in it to allow lifting.

Not a massive amount, there are two stopcocks (I have a suspicion that once upon a time the property was 2 properties. The nearby loo does not seem to be connected to whatever this hole is.

The water in it is probably from water that has found it's way onto the floor while we've been working.

The hole itself has a metal lining, seems to have a solid bottom and whatever it is it's obvious it's been installed and concreted in since the bogroom last had it's floor tiled.

Reply to
R D S

Rather than being an access hole, could this be a socket for a 5inch diameter pipe, leg or similar, to fit into, which in its turn supported something ?

This would presumably be something which couldn't be fixed to the wall for some reason, but was independant of supplies such as water and electricity.

michael adams

michael adams