The most joyful $8.99 expenditure

...picking up a pair of child sized safety goggles.

Like a Dad who buys his newborn son a glove, I might be pushing it a bit. He's almost 4. But there was nary a hestitation when I saw them hanging there at McGukin's.

Can't wait. Don't care if it's Son #1, Son #2 or Daughter #1. Mix n' match don't matter either. Come one, come all. Can't wait.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Four isn't too old. Sure he'll slow your work down a lot but my guys started short visits to the wood shop at about 3. Don't forget the ear plugs, dust mask, and the designated seat to be occupied when any A/C powered tool is on. Make sure your dust collection is good so the mask is "extra protection". Try the designated seat with tools that are not going to damage you (much) if you get distracted by someone getting out of the seat. Dangerous tools always require eviction from the shop while in use. Also remember you are modelling shop safety so this is a good opportunity to help you break *your* bad habits.

My silly dad things for each of my two boys were: 1 ea egg beater drills and 1 ea Japanese mini wooden plane (picked up in Tokyu Hands in Tokyo while attending a conference). Now we're working on adopting our foster daughter so I have to keep an eye out for another drill but I'll probably try to find her an old domestic plane rather than order out of Japan Woodworker.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

Pushing it? Saturday morning found my 2 week old son in his bouncy seat sitting on the table saw while I was wiring a new 220 outlet for the Red Star RAS.

Reply to
WebsterSteve

At age two my son had his own safety glasses and ear defenders. He wanted to be in the woodshop while I was working so they were a definate must have. Before he could walk his favorite toys were the pneumatic brad nailer (no air hose attached) and the cordless drill (no drill bit and clutch at minimum with the chiuck cranked closed). He can identify most woodworking tools from the catalogue. An easy way to frustrate him is for me to be in the shop and his mom upstairs in the kitchen baking, Eventually he looks at one of us and say "You stop! Sit down I'll be back later" as he heads off to where the other is.

George

Reply to
George