What's the Fuss - Shellac

Don't know where you are but in the US "rubbing alcohol" is isopropanol, not ethanol. Different solvent.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Plus the 30% water shure don't help the shellac. OTOH, I found 70% iPrOH to be a relatively inexpensive option for removing shellac from my hands, gloves, and brush handles. Saves the good stuff for the shellac.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Haven't tried it, but IsoHeet gasoline additive is virtually all isopropanol. Regular Heet is methanol, and probably not all that great as a shellac solvent. Might be informative if one of the shallac users in this NG could report back on the possibilities. This time of year both additives are in good supply and rather inexpensive. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

"J. Clarke" wrote

Sorry about that. Didn't mean to imply they were the same solvent. I meant to underscore that even straight scotch isn't high enough concentration (nor is rubbing alcohol, which is generally 70/30 isopropyl alcohol/water) to be an effective shellac solvent. In other words, the notion that, "Omigod I can't possible put shellac on a coffee or side table because a mixed drink spilled onnit would ruin it in an instant," is pretty much a bogus old wive's tale.

There are real instances where shellac is not the best finish - fear of a spilled Harvey Wallbanger shouldn't rank near the top.

Now, back to other alcohols...Anhydrous isopropyl alcohol, however, used primarily in printing applications, can be used to thin shellac. Some find it's longer flash-off time to help in avoiding orange peel and/or "fat edge."

Humbly submitted, O'Deen

Reply to
Patrick Olguin

omigod. A solution! Well, a solvent. Thanks, dude. I have a project set aside right now because fat edge showed up.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Unless, of course the sot who spilled it doesn't wipe it up.

Not to mention the wife and her cologne-tainted fingers leaving impressions on the jewelry box.

Reply to
George