What's the Fuss - Shellac

Page 2 of 2
Unless, of course the sot who spilled it doesn't wipe it up.
Not to mention the wife and her cologne-tainted fingers leaving impressions on the jewelry box.

Here are a few reasons why I've recently been using it in some applications:
- Looks pretty good - Builds and dries quickly - Can use different colors of shellac to alter the tone of the piece - Not as toxic as other finishes - Not as smelly as other finishes - Lower spontaneous combustion hazard on rags - Applied layers melt into each other; no witness lines - If you screw up the application it can usually be reversed and fixed (very handy for me personally) - Easy to rub out
Nate Perkins wrote:

Thanks, sounds good, may have to try using it again.
Josie
<snip>

You know, you're not a _real_ wRecker, until you have at least _tried_ shellac. ;-)
Google some of the old threads, looking for posts by Paul Radanovic, or O'Deen (or one of his handles). There is much to be learned there, presented very simply.
Patriarch

Tsk, Tsk, I was playing with shellac when you guys were still playing with car engines. The effort went into re-finishing old furniture and replacing shellac with shellac as possible. I'm now (after reading your replies) suspecting that my level of expectation was a lot lower than yours!

presented very simply.

That's probably what I need to look at, thanks,
Josie
Shellac is a good material but I question some of your reasons

While I am only adding to the controversy about food-safe finishes, all finishes are said to be safe once cured. I am pesonally not quite convinced of this, however.

Only curing oils like linseed are capable of spontaneous combustion.

Same here.