What kind of glue?

hey, i'm interested to hear what kinds of glue you guys use in the shop for wood. any pros or cons? i've used titebond II and gorilla for outside stuff. seem to work well for me but does anyone have any others that are durable and reliable? thanks

Reply to
Mcgyver

I use Elmer's Carpenter's Glue and Elmer's waterproof Carpenter's glue. I read an article that tested the various yellow glues and they are all about the same. What is so important is the preparation before the glue-up and allowing plenty of time for the glue to cure. Also, don't buy any more than you can use in a year.

Reply to
Phisherman

I agree, I assume there may be some compelling use for Poly glues but after doing some fairly controlled tests I am back to the yellow stuff.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Stay away from Gorilla glue. It killed Perry's dog, Maggie, according to the Puppy Wizard.

Reply to
JOAT

When I frequented rec.woodworking, you were occasionally annoying, but I don't recall you being prone to quoting assholes...or being one yourself. So I have to ask: did you have a particular reason for cross-posting this to r.p.d.b.?

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

I generally use titebond II, sometimes gorilla glue. Just for giggles, I found out that the titebond II is fda approved for food contact.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family" /

Lots. I don't get hung up on just one kind.

Titebond for stuff where I want a quick tack, cheap PVA for biscuit jointing where I'm going to cramp it up.

Hide glue (the real stuff) if I'm assembling the whole of a good piece, and it's worth putting the pot on.

Poly (Balcotan) seems to go off in the bottle more than I ever use it. I only use that for softwood construction joinery anyway.

Andy Dingley

Took a chance on some woodworking glue from Loctite. Saw it at Wal-Mart, of all places. So far - it's fine. Adds credence to the notion that most yellow glues are pretty much the same. I also have a bottle of Titebond Extend.

Reply to
mttt

Heck, Loctite is one of my favorite brands of adhesives.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey