What is it? Set 453

Page 2 of 2
On 8/10/12 11:51 AM, J Burns wrote:

http://2.imimg.com/data2/KI/ST/MY-3731351/weavers-beam-500x500.jpg
Here's the sort of beam I have in mind. If a textile mill has a few looms ten miles from the main plant, it will want to truck wound beams without messing up the threads.
If the box was for a beam like this, the notches would be to fit the hubs, but I think the open ends were to insert and withdraw a shaft used to hoist it.

Sounds plausible, didn't find anything though when I did a quick search. I thought the D in the black rectangle might be a logo I could find on the web but no luck with that either.
J Burns wrote the following on 8/10/2012 3:24 PM (ET):

Then what's the purpose of the doors on each end that can only be removed if the top is removed first?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Think about it. IF it was used to hold a beam, they'd want to close it up entirely during shipment to keep trash, vermin, etc., out.
At the receiving end, they'd remove the top and the doors, then insert the lift spike in through the ends (doors). They have to be there, because the center of the 'spool' (beam) is below the top of the crate.
Insert spike, lift beam out of the box. Re-install doors, re-install top, ship empty back to the mill again. There, they remove the top and doors, lift a beam back into the box, remove spike, reinstall doors and lid, then ship.
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote the following on 8/12/2012 10:58 AM (ET):

Yeah maybe, but the box doors seem too elaborate for that simple process. When I first saw the box, I thought it was a magicians prop for the famous 'cutting a woman in half' trick, but there's no saw slot in the sides. :-) It may be that this box started out as something very simply made, but was customized more than once for other purposes. Like why is the interior painted black?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

That answer could be as simple as my situation. If something that won't show needs painting, I paint it with whatever color I have handy; and usually that's whatever has already been opened.
LLoyd
Rob H. wrote:

Torpedo/bomb container?