What is it? Set 449

Page 1 of 2
I need help with three of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
On 12/07/2012 09:14, Rob H. wrote:

2606 Turkish coffee pot

It does look like a Turkish coffee pot but the museum where I shot the photo had it marked as something else.
2605, really no clue. Maybe a plug for some kind of barrel tap? 2606, what a miserable picture to try and make out any detail. That said, it's a pacifier for adult bulls. 2607, first thought was a tractor fuel filter. But.... maybe not? 2608, is either a barrel bung plug, or a bung plug puller. Might be a barn hook, screw it into a hole, and use it to hang your farm tools. With the bat design, maybe hang your Bat Cape, when you're in between saving truth, justice, and the Joker? 2609, could be a plub bob. 2610, never seen one of these, and can't imagine a use.
I need help with three of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

My guesses:
2605: Wheel holder and leveler
2606: Shoe horn
2607: Lamp updated from gas to electric
2608: A "bench screw" to hold wood for woodcarving
2609: A float valve.
Bill

This is what I was thinking but I haven't been able to prove it.

I don't know if it was part of a valve but I was told it's a float, so you're at least half right.
Rob H. wrote:

Yes, the threads could be "faster". I'll be watching with interest to see if anyone has any other ideas.

I wondered if it was for checking the density of a liquid, depending on whether it floated or sank.
2608. That's a miniature commemorative torture device - one end is for loping off little heads =:O and the other end is for screwing someone. I believe Congressmen keep them on their desks as "letter openers".

2607 is a liquid trap for a vacuum pump. Something like this: http://www.labconco.com/product/liquid-trap-kit/3530

I would have thought that big hole in the side would - um - interfere with vacuum.
LLoyd

Its funny, I did not even notice that was a hole. I guess I was thinking it was some sort of reflection because I was not expecting to see a hole in that type of apparatus. In any case, the hole does not seem to be perfectly round, like it was a modification for some specific experiment. I still think the original purpose was as a liquid trap.

Ummm...maybe it's not that type of apparatus...?

Yes, the hole does look like it may have been added later, I don't know what this device is but I sent an email to Gaertner and they replied and said that they also didn't know.

After a little more research I see things like this are more commonly used as part of a vacuum aspirator to suck up fluids. Some have stopcock drains which may be what that hole was made for, although it does look a little large and high for that.
On 07/12/2012 03:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2608 is a tiedown point for window blind adjustment rope.
technomaNge

It does look like it would work well with a rope, but I couldn't find any others like it.

2605)    A height adjustable foot for something which is constructed of     rectangular metal tubing. The spurs allow it to slide in, but     prevent it from sliding out.
    It looks as though it is designed to be adjusted by a     screwdriver from above (with a short tubing, of course), but it     also looks as though it is missing (both in the photo and in the     drawing) a cylindrical foot bottom -- hard rubber, I suspect. or     it is designed to fit over a cylindrical fitting on a lower     object.
2606)    A dipper/ladle for dipping and pouring some hot liquid. Perhaps     a wax or the like, perhaps something else. I don't think that     it is for even low temperature metals, however.
2607)    Gaertner makes (or made) optical lab hardware -- lens holders     lathe bed style optical benches, traveling microscopes, etc.
    This looks much older -- but it may be designed for measuring     the optical characteristics of a gas or liquid. It is not     totally clear whether the round circle in the near side is an     opening, or is a flat window joined to the glass housing..
    The fittings on top look as though they are for allowing a gas     or liquid to flow through, and the knurled nuts allow access to     the inside of the container to perhaps change a smaller     container of the substance under test.
2608)    Do the "bat wings" at the top form a plane, or a spiral? Hard to     tell from the single point of view offered.
    The screw thread could go into something like soft wax, or into     a plug of lead poured with a cored hole, or into soft wood.
    Perhaps it is for adjusting the height or spacing of some     object. The wings at the top are not decorative enough to be     something like a top of a hand-carried flagpole.
2609)    Rather large and blunt pointed plumb bob. :-)
    Perhaps intended to allow replacing the contents to tune the     period of a pendulum. Might even be big enough to make a     reasonable Focualt pendulum.
2610)    Looks like something intended to advacne a wooden pole upwards     as the lever is cycled.
    Now to post and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I think it's a flat plane.

As I stated in the answers for this set, the owner said that this tool was for use in a church but I can't imagine for what purpose.
Tough set this week, no luck with any of the unidentified items, the answers for the rest have been posted:
says...

Would it have something to do with tuning or otherwise adjusting pipe organs?
Everything else in a church wouldn't seem to require such a specialized tool.