What is it? Set 383

Page 1 of 2
I need help with a couple of the items this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/04/set-383.html
Rob

2213 - bicycle spoke wrench

Correct

2211: a tool for caulking boat planking
That's one massive YoYo!!!

2210. This looks like one of the old time dumbbells used by the strongmen of early 1900's. Except it is too big and heavy! I wouldn't want to mess with anybody who could lift that thing.
Maybe it is a stunt piece or something like this. I know that many of these weights were hollow. That way they could travel with them and fill them with sand or whatever. Perhaps the weight listed is the full weight and not the hollow weight. If so, the weight would be much less if hollow.
Or something else completely unrelated.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Great guess! This is correct. It actually weighs 1650 pound hollow and more than double that when filled with sand, they would lift it off the ground using a harness.
Still not sure about the two unidentified items but the rest of the answers can be seen at the link below, along with a video of a really cool tool box.
Rob

I knew it looked like one of the old strongman props.. I just did not know about this one. I used to know a strongman who worked vaudeville and circuses in the early 1900's He had lots of pictures and some of the old equipment laying around. Very colorful character. He also had the "globe" barbells. His were chrome plated. Lots of thick, smooth handles on this stuff. That way when challenged, almost nobody had the hand strength to lift the item. The strongmen knew this and trained for grip strength. It never occurred to me that it was a dumbbell for hip or back lifts. Which meant it only moved a few inches at the most. Probably only two or three inches.
Thanks for posting that! It brought back some interesting memories.
says...

FWIW, item 2211 bears a resemblance to a surgical instrument called an "orbitoclast", used to perform lobotomies through the eye socket.

It does kind of look like one, except the point doesn't appear to be sharp enough.
Rob H. wrote:

2209 - Lid lifter for wood/coal stove.
2210 - Looks like a HUGE cannon round
2211 - Looks like a caulking tool
2212 - Looks like a clamp tool. Used with band clamps
2213 -
2214 -
2215 -
--
Steve W.

Naaah. It's modern "art".
On 4/7/2011 12:02 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

More likely a frustrated bowler! ; )
Seriously, I might expect maybe to thread rope around it--to form the support end of of a tackle and pulley (reverse) hoist of some sort. Sorry if I've abused terminology with which I am not that familiar.
Bill
On 4/7/2011 12:02 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Something makes me think 2214 is "spring-loaded"--for maybe a roll-top desk, or maybe heavier duty. Notice that you may be able to "wind it up, and fit it into place"--much like a torsion-spring for a garage door (still for sale, btw)! ; )
Bill
On 4/7/2011 12:44 PM, Bill wrote:

Replying to my own post--well, it only goes around 180 degrees max. But I still think this is on the right track.
Bill
2210 - Double barrel wrecking ball(s)? I don't have a clue, but I'm also thinking some sort of heavy duty wheel-axil assembly, possibly for helping align some machinery chassis, during chassis construction. Far fetched - A spacer, for assembling of train wheel/ axil pairs to be parallel to one another.
The center section is missing its grease zerk. LOL
Sonny

It isn't part of a roll-top desk, it's a reproduction of a device from the 16th century.
On 4/7/11 5:36 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2210 How about a chocked roller holding a chain or cable to hold open a gate that may need to be lowered in an emergency. The gate could be for water, fire, security, or defense.
If the gate weighs considerably less than 1500 pounds, one watchman could remove the chocks. The inertia of the roller would slow the initial descent of the gate, giving people below more warning than a free fall.
On 4/7/2011 2:52 PM, J Burns wrote:

Looks to me like the balls run in channels--some kind of flattening device?
--
<:3 )~

Seems like some kind of counter weight.
Sonny