What is it? Set 347

For some reason my news server wasn't working properly so I had to post through Google groups today.
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

1995 is a still and condenser coil - might be for moonshine , it's about the right size for a small operation .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

You're not far off, it wasn't for dowels but was used by a particular type of farmer.
Rob
On Jul 30, 10:48pm, snipped-for-privacy@cinci.rr.com wrote:

Maybe to sharpen the ends of tree boughs for grafting? Apples, maybe?
--riverman

    Perhaps for cutting sugar cane at an angle to make extracting the sugar easier?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Ah, yes. I had said "front sight for a hunting bow" but I think now that was incorrect. I still think it's the front sight for a bow, but it's for use by a competition archer, not a hunter.
On Jul 29, 6:27am, "Alexander Thesoso"

Correct, it's from an old Majestic radio.
Rob

Correct, it's from an old Majestic radio.
Rob
That's why it looked familiar! As a kid, we had a Rogers Majestic console radio in the living room.
Steve R.

Good guess! You're on the right track here.
Rob
Bricks?
Rob H. wrote:

Nope, it wasn't for use with bricks.

    At a guess -- so it would take up less space in the garbage dump.
    Or perhaps to provide raw material (glass fragments of various colors) for making a mosaic or a Tiffany style lampshade? The colors readily available were clear, brown, and green, with less common being white and blue. I know someone who at least used to make stained glass artwork -- though I don't know what his sources were.
    After all -- the making of art is often the explanation for otherwise illogical actions. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Yup. Liquor taxes. In many jurisdictions, places that served alcoholic beverages 'by the drink' were *required* by law to break up the empties.
It seems that a _lot_ of people find it nearly irresistible to re-fill such bottles with variants on 'shine', and pass it off as legit, since the bottle _has_ the tax stamps on it.
    [ ... ]

    This reminds me of when I spent a summer in Guyaquil Ecuador, back around 1959. The honey (miel) from the marketplace would come in various shaped bottles which had molded into them -- in English -- "Federal law prohibits reuse of this bottle." :-)
    Do booze bottles still have that? Since I don't drink hard liquor, I don't know.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Any number of local jurisdictions required it for many years after the Federal law change. There were state taxes as well as Federal ones.