What is it? Set 347

For some reason my news server wasn't working properly so I had to post through Google groups today.

Rob H.

1995 is a still and condenser coil - might be for moonshine , it's about the right size for a small operation .
Reply to
Snag
1994 front of an old parking meter.... Joel in Rust Central
Reply to
joelblatt
1993. It's too big to be for sharpening pencils, so it must be for sharpening dowels. For what purpose, I don't know - if you asked someone's Mom, she'd say, "You'll poke your eye out with that!" 1994. Parking meter face plate. 1995. A still. 1996. A clock (the other clocks in the background are giveaways), but it's pretty obvious. 1997. Something for setting elevations for siting. 1998. Not sure. R
Reply to
RicodJour

Ah, yes. I had said "front sight for a hunting bow" but I think now that was incorrect. I still think it's the front sight for a bow, but it's for use by a competition archer, not a hunter.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Correct, it's from an old Majestic radio.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Good guess! You're on the right track here.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Nope, it wasn't for use with bricks.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, it's from an old Majestic radio.

Rob

That's why it looked familiar! As a kid, we had a Rogers Majestic console radio in the living room.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

You're not far off, it wasn't for dowels but was used by a particular type of farmer.

Rob

Reply to
r7h8

Maybe to sharpen the ends of tree boughs for grafting? Apples, maybe?

--riverman

Reply to
riverman

Perhaps for cutting sugar cane at an angle to make extracting the sugar easier?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

At a guess -- so it would take up less space in the garbage dump.

Or perhaps to provide raw material (glass fragments of various colors) for making a mosaic or a Tiffany style lampshade? The colors readily available were clear, brown, and green, with less common being white and blue. I know someone who at least used to make stained glass artwork -- though I don't know what his sources were.

After all -- the making of art is often the explanation for otherwise illogical actions. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yup. Liquor taxes. In many jurisdictions, places that served alcoholic beverages 'by the drink' were *required* by law to break up the empties.

It seems that a _lot_ of people find it nearly irresistible to re-fill such bottles with variants on 'shine', and pass it off as legit, since the bottle _has_ the tax stamps on it.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

This reminds me of when I spent a summer in Guyaquil Ecuador, back around 1959. The honey (miel) from the marketplace would come in various shaped bottles which had molded into them -- in English -- "Federal law prohibits reuse of this bottle." :-)

Do booze bottles still have that? Since I don't drink hard liquor, I don't know.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It was required from 1932 to 1964.

Reply to
J Burns

Any number of local jurisdictions required it for many years after the Federal law change. There were state taxes as well as Federal ones.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi