What is it? Set 344

Page 1 of 4
I need help finding an answer for two of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1975 A locksmith would use this part of a lock-picking set. Put the short end in a key slot. Use the long end to apply gentle torque while fiddling with the pins/tumblers to pick a lock.
1979 A bullet?

Yes. It is commonly called a "tension wrench".
<http://www.lockpicks.com/stainlesssteeltensionwrenches.aspx
Joe Gwinn

1975 tumbler lever for lock picking 1976 plastic dry hydrant cap? 1977 1978 wash/shaving basin with soap dishes that drain 1979 mini ball 1980 broom tying press?
LLoyd
"Rob H." <> wrote in message

1977 boot puller

Sounds like a good guess, I think it's probably correct though I couldn't find the patent for it.
Rob

I don't think it's a boot jack. The thing is a bit smallish, there's no reason to have the thing double ended, there's no reason to have the arm articulated, every boot jack I've ever seen has a U-shaped end where this one is squared off. The screw holes indicate this is supposed to be fastened to the floor (if it is a boot puller), which is also unusual, and cast iron boot jacks are usually given some decorative treatment - crickets, deer antlers or something like that. I think this thing has a more workaday use.
You have some good points, that's probably why I couldn't find the patent.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

It's definitely _not_ a bootjack; it wouldn't even work (for anybody but Paul Bunyon, anyway).
It has similarity to some double-swinging gate latch hardware designs, but not precisely sure how it would work in the orientation as it made so it likely isn't...

1975 Paint can opener?
1978 soap dish to drain water of of bar soap ?
It's called a Collection Assistant and we used them in our offices. When a borrower gets behind in the payments, the head goes into the hole and . . . well the rest is obvious. <Grin- all in fun>
Nonny
--
On most days,
its just not worth
Rob H. wrote:

1975 - Looks like a tension wrench. Used to apply shear force to the pins in the lock while you manipulate them with a pick.
1976 - ???
1977 - Looks sort of like a chain latch used with old style flat link chain. Could hold a load in either direction.
1978 - Holy water basin with baptismal bowls?
1979 - ???
1980 - ??? (wrist clamp?)
--
Steve W.

Steve W. wrote:

1577--the "fulcrum" is massive and the ends are thin...it looks like it could have been used to lift something heavy off of the ground. It might work to fit drywall?
Bill

You meant 1977? If so, what are the three screw holes for?
Lobby Dosser wrote:

To make sure it doesn't slip away? If it were a foot-powered lift one side would probably be more foot-receptive. Still it appears designed to take advantage of leverage. Note lack of symmetry.
Bill

Bill, you snipped out your bit about drywall. Makes all the difference.
[1577--the "fulcrum" is massive and the ends are thin...it looks like it could have been used to lift something heavy off of the ground. It might work to fit drywall?
Bill]

Hmm, for some reason this looks like something made with the same level of craftsmanship as a window latch. I wonder if this worked on a window or door as a stopper, or even on a drawer in a file cabinet or cash register to keep a drawer open?
--riverman

I'm sure it would work for that purpose, but its apparent age argues against that being the use it was designed for.
1976: some kind of rubber bumper? Maybe for a loading dock, or the boat kind of dock?
1979: Minie ball, circa 1864. Found all OVER Virginia.

It's not a bumper but it is related to a recreational activity.
Rob