What is it? Set 310

Page 2 of 2

1772 looks like a "receiver" for a iron-rimmed wagon wheel. Possibly to be set in concrete to "park a wagon so it won't roll away?
Norm

This one _is_ for wagon wheels but not for setting in concrete to prevent a roll away.
Rob

    O.K. Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
1771)    My guess at this is a combination egg scale and egg     candler (the light in the cylinder to the right). I     expect a wire from the ceramic base, but it could be some kind     of flame powered lamp too.
    As for the units -- something once used to grade eggs. Not the     Haugh units, which require the egg to be broken. Ounces are     unlikely to go that high -- except perhaps for an ostrich egg.     Hmm ... one Google hit shows them as being classified by ounces     per dozen, so 40 oz/dozen is perhaps within reason.
1772)    Looks like it might hold a smaller barrel so it can be tipped     to drain fully.
    Or -- it might be for checking motorcycle (and really old     automobile) tires for leaks. Fill it with water, submerge a     portion of the wheel, and rotate while looking for bubbles.
1773)    A press for assembling something like perhaps a roller chain     for a motorcycle? Or for pressing on or off a bearing? Stanley     made more woodworking tools and not much in the way of     automotive tools, but who knows?
1774)    Perhaps for dropping aircraft external fuel tanks before     entering combat to improve maneuverability?
1775)    stand for smaller compressed gas tanks Oxygen or fuel gasses)?
1776)    A model engine -- and what it is mounted in looks too heavy     for a model aircraft, so at a guess I will say that it was for     a tether racing car -- which were popular until too many of the     tethers broke and too many bystanders were seriously hurt or     even killed.
    I seem to associate the name "Wall" with the cars for some     reason.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1776 is a spark ignition model airplane engine.
Steve R.

1774 just has the look of something used to build shoes. A "last", or something. I dunno.... just guessing.
-Zz
On 11/14/2009 3:19 PM Zz Yzx spake thus:

It does look like that--they look like shoes, in fact--but that's not their purpose, of that I'm certain.
Nobody seems to have a (good) clue what these things are. Waaaah.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?