What is it? Set 304

Back at it with another set this week:

Rob H.

1737. Balloon Whisk. Probably from a Hobart mixer. like this:
kfvorwerk

Nothing but guesses...

1735 Part of a sextant.

1737 Industrial mixer whisk.

1738 Wine bottle pourer. (Though it looks too "industrial" to be acceptable to a wine aficionado.)

1739 Either a mouse trap or a laboratory mouse holder/feeder.

1740 Tattoo needle actuator. Fancy vibrator to push the needle(s)in and out quickly. It is so fancy because of the need to clean it. Cylinder in the top center pushes the needle(s). Screw adjust at top left of first picture sets rate.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1739) Pill cutter for when your insurance company only pays for one dosage of a medicine and your doctor prescribes half that dose.:)
Reply to
John Husvar

Rob H. schrieb:

1736 Tools to twist or bend the teeth of a bandsaw so it cuts free.
Reply to
Waltraud Kraft

1735 - Pocket Sextant?

1736 - Fingernail pullers.

1737 - Mixing attachment for commercial mixer in bakery.

1738 - Bread Flipper.

1739 - Pill cutter. Cuts pills in half. Some have more than one insert.

1740 - Some sort of winder.

Reply to
LDosser

whisk for a commercial mixer. I cleaned these things hundreds of time in my youth.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Yeah, that was my guess. Doesn't look like any sextant I've ever used, but what else could it be with a angle scale going to 120 degrees and a magnifying glass to read it? I can't quite read it, but I'm assuming the lower swing arm has a vernier scale on it. The two winding key shafts on the left make me think it might be some sort of aviation model, where you're winding up the averaging mechanism. No clue about the teeth cut into the bottom rim.

Oh, duh, I just scrolled down and saw the second picture. That clinches it. I was wondering where the optics were hiding! I still don't get the gear teeth on the bottom.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Do you mean a "bread catapult"? ;)

Reply to
Bill

1735 - Appears to be clockwork driven (from the square winding key posts). Maybe this was a puller for a strip of paper for a recording telegraph or ticker-tape machine (or other strip recorder device)? 1736 - I've no idea what these pliers are for, but the bottom one is much cooler looking than the top one. They do appear to have a trimming blade of some sort. 1737 - An easy one for me--a wire whip from a commercial kitchen mixer, maybe one of about 40 or 50 quart capacity. I have a very similar (but much smaller) whip for my non-commercial KitchenAid mixer--which uses the same style of locking hub, even. 1738 - A rack for holding (and permitting to rock)...ummm...maybe a clothes iron while it cools? 1739 - A pill box with built-in pill divider/cutter for creating half doses. 1740 - An electric buzzer (or possibly bell that's lacking the hammer and bell proper), probably used as a doorbell or fire alarm sounder.

Now to read other guesses...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

That's it!!

Reply to
LDosser

Looks more like a wide trebuchet. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sextant is correct, I think the teeth are partly decorative but also are to give you a better grip on it. To be more specific, it's a box sextant, mainly used for terrestrial observation.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

You have the right idea but your second thought is correct, this one isn't for wine.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1736: Another typewriter tool? 1737: Eggbeater mixer blade 1738: Shoe stand 1739: Pill cutter 1740: Part of it appears to be a solenoid, don't know about the rest
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Or when you are paying the shot and the large pill is the same price as the half or quarter size. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

1735) This has to be a pocket sextant -- for measuring the latitude and longitude. (The latter also need a truly accurate clock and a current table of star locations. 1736) The upper one almost looks like a tool for seating rivets in leather. Not at all sure about the lower one. 1737) Looks like a head to go on a flexible shaft for cleaning out tubing or pipe. It does not have the sharpened edges for cutting roots that a roto-rooter would have, so perhaps it is for getting rid of soot from flues in a locomotive boiler? 1738) To hold a flask of liquid -- probably alcoholic beverage, and to allow controlled tilting to pour from said flask. 1739) A device for splitting pills -- to reduce the cost of some prescription medicines, which tend to charge by the pill rather than by the number of milligrams of active ingredient. 1740) Looks like a device to make a mark on a moving chart under control of an electrical signal. Given a paper tape moving at the right speed, it could record Morse code -- and may have been for precisely that.

Now to see what others have suggested as answers.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols