Low-Angle Smooth Plane

Further to that Veritas Low-Angle Smooth Plane I bought about a week ago, I received the A2 blade for it in the mail yesterday.

Man is that thing sharp. The instructions for the blade immediately warn you to be careful with the blade and of course being the dumb ass I am, I immediately slice my finger on it.

Tested the edge on a really thick plastic bag. Cut it like a razor blade. So, now that I've personally initiated my plane with my blood, it's time to make some shavings.

Next stop down the slippery slope: a Veritas right hand plow plane.

enough, for left handers, Lee Valley will exchange a previously purchased right hand plow plane and blades for a new left hand plow plane and blades, shipping and handling the only cost. Can't beat service like that.

Reply to
upscale

There are no stops on that slope, you just grab things as you fly by, the slope getting steeper and slicker as you go....

It's a fun ride, though.

Reply to
Joe

Are you trying to spread your tool lust??? It's contagious! : ) I hope you enjoy the peace and quiet of your new hand tools!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You can probably get it sharper. They usually don't come honed. :)

I was laying hardwood flooring and doing a little bit of chisel work. Cut myself nicely but the chisel was sharp enough that the only reason I noticed was that there were these red smears on the flooring.

night. Worked great. Make sure the edges of the fence are eased so that you don't mar the surface the fence rides against. You can also add an auxiliary wooden fence.

Also...set it for the thickest shavings you can manage. Makes the job go much quicker. Tearout at the bottom of a groove isn't normally a problem.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

On 11/12/2009 7:50 AM Joe spake thus:

"Test thumb on blade", eh?

You do know that the best way to safely test a blade's sharpness is to use your thumbNAIL, right?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Spread it? Hell no. I figured by this time it was pretty much pandemic. In any case, I'm blaming Leon for infecting me. Him and his damned Festools.

Reply to
upscale