What is it? Set 298

Page 2 of 3
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:32:59 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

D'OH!!!!
Thanks! Rich

I never ever loaded a .50 cal pod on a F-4, 20mm yes the ammo brass and links dump out into the air though. The F-4E retain the ammo brass but it was delinked before it was chambered. I was a weapons mechanic at Seymour Johnson AFB and have the Phantom bite scars to prove it.
Mark

    Nope -- the cartridge has a gentle taper over most of the length, then a steep taper (shoulder) to a cylindrical portion which actually holds the bullet. One ring goes around the main body, part around the neck on one cartridge, and the other large ring goes around the cartridge just back of the steep taper. Note that the small ring starts to flare a bit towards the large ring. This is the part in contact with the shoulder.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Some guesses, and mostly uneducated ones at that:
1699 - I would guess it's a part to an old gun, perhaps holding the stock or magazine onto the barrel and chamber. If so, I would assume that a gun nut/collector could look up the hieroglyphics and numbers stamped on it and determine more about it.
1700 - Lumberman/logger's tool for manipulating logs (with the pointy end) or stamping them with an ownership mark (flattened end, which would originally had some raised punch)?
1701 - These look to me to be hydraulic control valves for some piece of equipment, such as a cherry picker truck or car carrier trailer. The boom (?) mount in the background looks far more cherry-picker like than car-carrier like.
1702 - Ye notte so olde battering ramme?...or perhaps a smallish portable pile driver (which would of course e stood up on end before being used)?
1703 - This appears to be designed to hold a strap or rope or similar thing against (modest) tension; perhaps the intended use was for old-fashioned large venetian blinds, or perhaps something else entirely.
1704 - This looks somewhat like a gasoline tank of comparatively early design, but I think that's likely not correct, especially with the pivot or screw apparently piercing the side in the middle. Maybe it's a hose reel.
Now to read other guesses...
--
Andrew Erickson

Good guess! They are the controls for a car carrier.
Rob
Could 1701 be the 'control panel' for a bell or chime tower?
--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

on

The size is shown.
LLoyd

I think the guesses that 1699 is a link from a .50 cal ammo belt are correct. See:
http://www.pt103.com/images/Browning_50_cal_M2_Link.jpg
I imagine it takes a lot of these to keep Ma Deuce fed.
1700 looks like a blacksmith's hot punch.
Paul K. Dickman

1699 - .50 cal ammo belt link, positive.
1700 - If there isn't some sort of a spring or friction device at the rotate joint to keep the head from rotating during normal operation (but allow a break-away if forced) it won't be that effective as a hammer or pick.
1701 - My first thought was the Gel Iris and and Dowser control handles on a Follow Spot. But that's not it...
That's an awful lot of hydraulics. Car Carrier?
1702 - Yeah, a weight-transfer tractor pull sledge, minus the friction plate and tractor hitch part. Pretty sure.
1703 - Wagon cargo tie-down anchor for agricultural loads on wagons that are always in the same size crates? Some sort of rope grab one-way clutch for leather belting, quick release for many trips a day. The nubbies on the center pivot section would grip the belt as it goes through.
1704 - it's terne plate sheetmetal - some sort of oil dispenser?
With the tray underneath, they might have been going for storing something very viscous like honey or tar - light a fire underneath to warm it up, then pivot and pour once it's liquified.

You're on the right track here, it's not for a belt but for something fairly common in the 1800's.
Rob
Whip holder for a buggy or wagon? Art
: : : > 1703 - ....Some sort of rope grab : > one-way clutch for leather belting, quick release for many trips a : > day. The nubbies on the center pivot section would grip the belt as : > it goes through. : : : You're on the right track here, it's not for a belt but for something fairly : common in the 1800's. : : : Rob :

Nope

First item is a link from a disintegrating link ammo belt. Based on the size, it's for a .50 cal Browning. Since it was found out in the desert, it probably fell from an aircraft during gunnery practice. Could be some .50 cal brass scattered in the same general area.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

1701 reminds me a bit of the levers in the frame of a signal box for controlling the point and signals on a railway.
I would guess the American ones would be different from the ones in the UK.

1699)    A link from a chain of ammunition (.30 cal (7.62mm) or .50 cal)     designed to be fed into a belt-fed machine gun. on firing, the     cartridge is pulled backwards out of the links, the link goes     flying off to the right, the cartridge is chambered, fired, and     follows the link off to the right while the next cartridge is     pulled into position.
    I think that it is the larger size, but I don't have any empties     to compare it to.
    The bullet end would be pointing down as the photo has it     oriented. There should be more of them not too far away, unless     it was perhaps being fired from an aircraft.
    And it was there for some time, as it shows some rusting, after     the plating (cadmium perhaps) went away.
    Ammo boxes come filled with these all linked together. I've     never actually seen one firing, but I believe that you can pull     a cartridge from the end of the current chain and link another     to it for longer uninterrupted firing -- except that if you fire     too long, you get the barrel melting down. :-) For all I know,     you might have to change the barrel once per belt of ammo.
1700)    This looks to me to be a blacksmithing tool, designed to punch     holes in red-hot metal. You place the point where you want the     hole, and then strike on the other end, which shows mushrooming     from the strikes.
    The pivot allows the angle of the handle to be somewhat     independent of the angle of the hole.
    It looks to be well-rusted wrought iron, based on the grain     showing.
1701)    At a guess these are hydraulic control levers for something     like a "steam shovel" which is seldom steam powered these days.
    The groups of two of a given color would be for forward and     reverse operations -- such as pivoting on the base and perhaps     opening and closing the scoop. The three in a group may be for     slow and fast operation of the various joints, depending on what     is being attempted. At a guess, The middle and right might be     forward fast, middle and the left might be reverse fast, and     right and left alone would be forward or reverse slow.
    And some of them might be for corner jacks to stabilize the     device when under load.
1702)    This looks to me like one of the variable loads used in     "tractor pull" competitions. It is pulled from the end away     from the tires and the small wheel is rotated by friction with     the ground, pulling the heavy concrete and iron weight towards     the front end making it drag more the greater distance it has     been pulled.
1703)    looks like a one-way travel restraint for leather -- or     possibly web belt if it was made that early.
1704)    It is made from dip-galvanized sheet steel.
    The drum rotates on its axis.
    There is some kind of scoop or spout to the left which rotates     with it.
    Hmm ... could it be an early design of concrete mixer? If so,     the steel is thicker than I thought.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

First one looks like something to do with a flag pole. A holder for carrying a flag in a parade? Perhaps on horseback?

Yep, 1699 is ammo belt link. Had about 4 .50 cal. shells(no powder) when I was a kid. Dad worked for arms manufacturer in WW2, got them for me. Also gave me a nice hunting knife made from reject bayonet, but it disappeared somewhere over the years.
1701 - I'm going to take a couple guesses here (1) Control handles for a carillon? First glance looked like a keyboard with sharps/flats/etc. (2) Stage lighting controls for spotlights, colored lighting, etc.
1702 - sure looks like an early/primitive/homebuilt tractor pulling weight transfer, missing the "sled" under the front.
Norm
Nahmie wrote:

How many .50s do you want? My little Barrett loves the stuff..... I only have about 200 rounds on hand though. At current pricing it isn't cheap. 4 bucks a round is good price now!
--
Steve W.

50 cal maching gun link.
Shrug..no biggie.