What is it? Set 314

I need some help on the second item this week, I've shown it to a lot of tool collectors but no one has recognized it:

Rob H.

Am 10.12.2009 10:33, schrieb Rob H.:

Number 1795 looks like a device for filling powder in cardrigecases for reloading. You set te volume of powder (or maybe shot) by adjusting the zylinder at the bottom of the top half to the needed amount of powder and with every push you get exact the same volume through the hollow nozzle at the bottom .

greetings from .de Walter

Reply to
Walter Kraft

Closed face spinning reel with built in fly tying vise.

Reply to
salty

1798 - Counter top cigar tip cutter 1799 - Table tongs for some sort of food item
Reply to
joeljcarver

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

not a tool collector (at least not in the sense of making it a study or avocation), but alas, that didn't help me any.

1795 -- Made by the "Ideal Manufacturing Company," I see...not that it's a real help knowing that. This would appear to clamp onto a table or similar, and seems to be set up for rather precise adjustable rotation of the handle mechanism. Somehow, it looks rather optically related to me; perhaps it's an adjuster for a reflector for a camera or microscope? Perhaps a part of a telescope mount? 1796 -- Ummm...no idea. So maybe therefore a wire fence tightener? 1797 -- Applicator for graphite lubricant or other powered compound (chalk dust as a casting mold release agent?) 1798 -- Can opener? 1799 -- Tongs for holding something hot--maybe laboratory glassware? 1800 -- Roofers tool, maybe for working with metal roofing (forming various crimps, cuts, etc.)?

Now to see other people's guesses...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

being a flow/throttle adjustment.

1796 Perhaps a kitchen implement for breaking ice? 1799 Tuning fork? Although someones previous guess pertaining to sugar cubes is convincing too. 1800 Hand plane from Harbor Freight? : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill
1798: milk can opener? Pierces the top of a can for pouring out liquid.
Reply to
whit3rd

How do you find out the correct answers after Friday?

Reply to
Nonny

Sounds logical to me. ;-) Either that or a leather worker's tool.

Correct, for taller cans in the front, short ones in the back.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Below the last photo in the current set there will be a link to the answer page, just click on the word "Answers".

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, it's a cartridge loading tool.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1795) A powder measure for reloading cartridge cases.

The flattened knob on the bottom clamps it to the edge of the workbench.

The Round knob on the left in the first photo (the right as it is mounted for use) adjusts the amount of powder dispensed at a "throw" ( a cycle of the lever on the other side shown in the second photo).

This one seems to have the coarse and fine slides that my much newer one does, but not the screws to adjust them. You just loosen the clamp screws and slide them by hand, I guess. I would feel more comfortable using this one for black powder instead of smokeless

Also, this one appears to have a tin-plate steel hopper on the top, instead of the transparent plastic one which mine has to let you judge more easily how close to empty it is. (The closer to empty, the more variable the amount dispensed.)

Hmm ... the patent date seems to be about the same period that smokeless powder started being used, which suggests that it may have been one of the first for home reloading of smokeless powders.

The newer ones also have a small weight free-hanging from the front, which is raised and released to knock free grains clinging by static electricity.

Mine from the 1960s is a brown wrinkle finish (Made by Redding, IIRC) instead of the black enamel shown here.

1796) Hmm ... another angle of view would be helpful. It would appear to have a hole on the end opposite the handle, but I wonder whether that hole is threaded or smooth? If threaded, which I might consider it to be is a tool for securing the wire frame for a lamp shade to a threaded stud to hold it while the covering is installed to the frame. 1797) Aside from being carved to look a little like a fountain pen, I find myself wondering whether the smaller diameter part slides into the larger diameter "cap". If so, I would think that it should have a leather flap at the large open end, and it could be used in place of a bellows for getting a fire started.

It looks to have a soft putty around that end, so perhaps it fits against the user's mouth to direct airflow from the lungs for a similar purpose.

1798) Another tool for cutting the tips off of cigars? 1799) Sugar tongs?

Something for picking up lobsters?

1800) Can/bottle opener, Pie edge crimper, meat cleaver, meat tenderizer.

(I was wondering whether you would get to 1800 this time or hold it for later.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols