What is it? Set 270

Page 1 of 2
Might be another difficult set, I need help figuring out three of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

1534 is the compressor in a jet engine or gas turbine
1535 looks very like a transmission stand for supporting the transmission or engine when you're working under a car on a ramp. However it isn't tall enough for a car on a ramp at head height so you can stand under it. Same type of principle though.
--
Dave Baker

1531. Wireless microphone / bug perhaps a kit. No mic visible. Maybe a fox hunt transmitter.
1531 Maybe the card out of a garage door opener. Or a far off vier of my wife's cosmetics mess on the tray next to the bathroom sink.
1532 Radio Communications Receiver. Separate front end tuners for various bands. Band select switch. BFO switch for listening to CW code transmissions.
1534 Part of a cut-away turbine rotor.
1536 Guess... electrical firing trigger for a gun (cannon). Imagine that it might be used in the turret of a WW-II Japanese warship. Thumb safety, pull trigger to make bang.

That's a better guess than mine...I was thinking of a black-powder starter's pistol, with the thumb mechanism as a backup for false starts. But the construcion and style sure says 'military' to me....
Now I'm looking at either some sort of igniter to start old prop planes (I don't know why I have this fixation that it uses powder...) or else a trigger to set off explosives. The thumb trigger is the safety/secondary.
--riverman

BTW, a Mandarin-fluent friend of mine just told me what the writing on the front of the item says:
"The first character $B0B(B is likely the phonetic rendering of some kind of firearm (?) made by a company that starts with the sound "An"-- Anderson? The second character $B<0(B means "style" or "kind".
Not a lot of help....its a firearm-kind-of-thing.
--riverman

Thanks! I was hoping someone would be able to translate that for us. I agree with those who think it's some type of warship trigger. The owner of it found it on a shelf in the cellar of an old adobe in Colorado.
-----
Below are links to a few photos of an usual object someone found in California, not sure if it really has a purpose or not , but I am a little curious as to what it might be:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/_1a6image001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/_1a6image004.jpg
The owner's description: "It is 6" long exactly, with the small end being 3/4" in diameter and the large end being 1" in diameter. It is hollow all the way with the small hole being 5/16" in diameter and the large hole being 5/8" in diameter. With the insert installed the large end is 1-1/4" from the large end of the insert. The insert is 1-1/2" long."
Rob

The museum is description is likely accurate, but incomplete.
Such a receiver certainly could be used to monitor a bug. There are much less expensive single band (or even single frequency) (and portable) receivers used for that purpose, however.
We used to call this type of receiver "DC to Daylight".
scott

    [ ... ]

    I would agree.

    Looking at that particular bug -- single frequency receivers would have a problem. Note that the open-air coil (inductor) is squished from its original shape. This would not keep it from working, but it *would* shift the frequency. And it is so easy to unintentionally squish it a bit more just handling to to its point of operation. After all -- you don't walk past the front desk of the embassy (or whatever) with it in the open resting in your palm. It goes into a pocket until you are where you need to install it.
    I also don't see a source of power in the photo -- though coin cells might be hidden on the underside or otherwise behind other components. I know that pressure transducer style microphones can be small enough to be included in the components on the board.

    :-)
    I was impressed enough by the R-390A (if I remember it correctly), which went from audio up to 40 MHz. Amazing mechanicals inside, and tons of tubes. I remember being part of a communications experiment which had us on an Air Force base in Arizona with three of these operating in a duce-and-a-half -- generating a lot of unneeded heat in mid-summer. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Now there was a big heavy beast of a radio. Collins, IIRC. Still desirable for shortwave listeners. The ICOM R-1 handheld is/was much smaller and 3 decades newer.
scott

[...]
And also a triangular-shaped device which is possibly a LPDA used for the UHF or microwave bands.
--
It's times like these which make me glad my bank is Dial-a-Mattress

Well, I don't feel quite as clueless as sometimes, but that's not saying very much!
1531 - Quite obviously a little electronic circuit of some sort. It appears to me to likely be a radio circuit, perhaps a cheap transistor radio receiver, but it's impossible--at least for me--to tell without being able to deduce a schematic for it. It may also be an amplifier or timer or a host of other things.
1532 - Some sort of portable RF equipment, possibly an RF frequency signal generator for testing other equipment. There are rather clearly eight RF generator circuits covering a wide range of frequencies, but it's not clear what the part in the upper-left is intended to do; it may permit modulation of the RF.
1533 - Well, you hold the handle and....ummm....
1534 - Obviously some manner of a turbine; it doesn't look especially sturdy to me, so I'll guess it's a large turbine air compressor.
1535 - I was initially going to say a piano stool minus the seat, but it's too tall for that. Probably it's for an adjustable table of some sort, maybe intended for a typewriter or such like.
1536 - Maybe a part of a paint spraying outfit? Seems quite complicated for that, though.
Now to read other guesses...
--
Andrew Erickson

1531: DTMF circuit from an early touch tone phone?
1535: Typewriter table (I grew up with one of these. Pain to adjust)
1532: Electronic intelligence or Communications intelligence (ELINT/COMINT) receiver with plug-in front-end modules to cover a total of 0.3 MHz (300 kHz) to 1600 MHz. Possibly Watkins-Johnson.
Northe

1531 I am going to guess at a receiver judging by the coil and the variable cap. 1532 amateur radio receiver 1533 ? 1534 some kind of turbine? 1535 I am tempted to say it a chair mechanism but i doubt its that simple. 1536 ?

1531) A small printed circuit board featuring two transistors (at least), a small trimmer capacitor and a low inductance coil as well as assorted caps and resistors. This could be anything working at a VHF frequency. I do not see a crystal, so likely a front end amplifier of some sort.
1532) A wide-range signal generator with output regulation and modulation facility
1533) A toothbrush for very bad gingivitis
1534) A turbine. GOK for what purpose.
1535) A Jack - there is a coarse and fine (screw) height adjustment. OTOH a table top may be missing...
1536) A firing mechanism of some sort. I interpret the kanji as Japanese meaning "cheap model"
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Rob H. wrote:

1531 A spy "bug"
1532 Mason AB3 countersurveillance receiver
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=cold-ware-counter-surveillance
1536 A trigger for a large naval gun

1531. spy camera

    Posting (somewhat late) from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
    I'll look at the other guesses *after* I make and enter my own.
1531)    A very compact circuit for one with discrete components.
    It looks to include a RF tuned circuit (the coil in the lower     right-hand corner and the object just to the upper right which     appears to be a tuning capacitor.
    Guesses are:
    1)    Telemetry transmitter for model rockets or similar.
    2)    Spy transmitter, if one of those difficult to see         components happens to be a microphone.
    3)    Perhaps a transmitter to allow tracking a vehicle.
1532)    Multi-band receiver -- capable of monitoring signals in up to     eight bands -- with plug-ins to select the bands, so you could     tune to multiple signals within a single band with the proper     plug-ins.
    Looks like older military gear.
1533)    No clue -- but I don't think that I would want it use on me. :-)
1534)    Turbine assembly. While it could be steam, the visible portion     of the cut-away exterior makes it look like a jet engine.
1535)    Color makes it look to be military in origin.
    I think that the four arms take screws to secure a table at an     adjustable height -- perhaps for sighting equipment on a map on     the table.
1536)    The material suggests nautical use. The paddle is a safety     which has to be depressed prior to pulling the trigger.
    My guess is that this is the firing mechanism for a harpoon gun,     used in more recent whale hunting. It attaches by the     projection opposite the handgrip to allow aiming of the harpoon     gun.
    Now to see what others have posted, and then to read the answers, which appear to already be posted, since I see the link for them is the color to indicate an active link.
    Enjoy,         DoN.