What is it? Set 268

I need help with number 1522 in this set, I know what trade would use this tool but not the specifics of it:

Rob H.
1521 Battery tester. The thin v-shaped piece is a current-shunt or load resistor. Push the points into the lead posts of a storage battery cell. The bottom end is a meter that reads the voltage under load.

1524 Blow torch... Not helpful, as I've no idea what specific application it is intended for.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Reply to
James Askew

Only one this week.

1524 is a gasoline blowtorch, looks like two brackets to hold a soldering iron.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

"Rob H." scribbled:

1519. used for dispensing coin change
Reply to
usablevirus

1519 - ye olde Change-O-Matic. I wish I had one some days. Load it with loose coin change and push the buttons to dispense change. Looks like quarters, nickels, dimes, pennies. L-R 1520 - Axe/Hammer/Maul other handle wedge.

1521 - Battery Load tester. Points go to battery terminals, V shaped item is the current shunt, meter under clear handle cap reads capacity.

1522 - Looks like a pin spanner with 4 preset sizes. Might be for shaft seals or packing adjustment.

1523 - Lab Glass handle?

1524 - Soldering iron heater. Missing the iron that would set in the saddle. Unlike the common pump style blow torch this was intended only for soldering iron use.
Reply to
Steve W.

1519 - Device to dispense coins or coin-like tokens individually at a retail establishment. 1520 - Wedge to hold an axe or maul head on the handle of same. I'm not sure it would be much more effective in practice than the traditional wooden wedge, but it's hard to patent a wooden wedge. 1521 - Possibly a device to temporarily jumper an electrical connection, say while replacing or inspecting a fuse? 1522 - Maybe a gauge for checking engine pistons for wear, adaptable to four different piston sizes or measurement points (e.g. outside diameter, diameter in ring grooves, ...); although I would have thought that a vernier caliper would be just as easy and useful and more generally applicable for this operation when overhauling an engine, and a production line gauge not adaptable to various sizes, so I'm not at all confident in this guess. 1523 -- glass blower's forming tool to make necks, etc. 1524 - Burner for heating soldering irons before electrically powered ones were commonly used.
Reply to
Andrew Erickson

1519 looks a bit like a coin dispenser. 1520 not sure what they are called but it gets knocked down the shaft of an hammer to secure the head in place. 1521 I guess at some kind of moisture detector for soil. 1522 looks like a caliper with 4 settings. 1523 i will guess at grip for a small crucible making for use with jewelery? 1524 oil burner? I would have thought there would be somewhere to plug an air supply in for oil so maybe parafin powered or something.
Reply to
Dwayne

1520: Looks like a wedge used in a canvas stretcher.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

1519) Looks like a coin dispenser. I would like to see more angles of view, but it looks as though it is (from left to right) quarters, nickels dimes pennies

and you either push or pull the handles to dispense one coin of that size at a time.

I suspect push, with a tray on the other side to capture the dropped coins.

1520) A wedge to drive into the wooden handle of a tool to secure the head to the handle, perhaps a sledge hammer, axe, or something like that. I think that it is a bit large to be for a standard carpenter's hammer. 1521) Meter for checking the state of charge of a single cell in a multi-cell lead acid automotive battery. Typically, the old 6V ones had cross links connecting the cells buried under tar, and the points went through the tar to connect for the test.

The 'V'-shaped part is a shunt to draw enough current to make for a meaningful measurement.

There is a meter in the end of the handle.

1522) This is a wrench for gripping threaded rings with an even number of holes (so there will be pairs 180 degrees apart). these may be for securing optical components in microscopes or something similar.

While nothing shows it -- I'll bet that the assembly with the rotating rectangle will slide on the handle to make for fine adjustment of the spacing of the pins. Rotating the rectangle makes coarse adjustments to get close to the right size.

Once the pins are in the opposite holes, the handle can be used to rotate the ring to tighten or loosen it.

1523) Looks as though it is for picking up a hot flask and pouring the contents. Something like a chem lab Florence or Erylmyer flask, or perhaps even a simple test tube. But it looks as though it could handle something quite hot, such as a container of melted lead. 1524) Looks like an interesting variant on a blowtorch -- especially configured for heating a soldering iron.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
1524 is a blowtorch for heating soldering coppers

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

These first three are correct.

No correct guesses yet for this tool, including the ones on Neatorama.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.