What is it? Set 420

I need some help with a wooden tool this week, number 2435:

Rob H.

2432 Ive seen simlar item liks this before , It's a cork sizer ,used to reduce the size of bottle corks so they can be inserted into the bottle necks.
Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)
2435 Looks like it might be used as a sheet-metal bending tool, perhaps for copper roofing.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2434 - soldering iron 2435 - sheet-metal crimper (for what specific purpose, I cannot imagine) 2436 - tire & wheel for a child's wagon
Reply to
Doug Miller

2431: bronze wedge-type piton for climbing? 2434: soldering copper 2435: looks like a sheet metal form for flashing work
2431 door hold open wedge 2432 pipe holder, for threading or cutting off lengths of pipe 2433 bartenders shotglass for use at the TB sanitarium 2434 I hope it doesn't turn out to be a prostate checker 2435 totally no clue, sorry 2436 some kind of rubber roller from a machine
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2431 - Dovetail marking gauge, used by woodworkers when laying out dovetails 2435 - Sheet metal tool, maybe for copper roofing? 2436 - Appears to be a bearing, but the specific purpose is...

John

Reply to
sawdust

2436: It's the outside of an antique ashtray that firestone used to give out as an advertising gimmick. It's missing the middle tray.

tnik

I think this is probably correct, for bending thin metal sheets or possibly cardboard though it would most likely be difficult to prove the exact use.

Reply to
Rob H.

answer was going to be that it's a salesman's sample tire, which is what the owner of it told me in an email when he sent it. But I think your answer is correct, I did a search on ebay for 'firestone ashtray' and found over fifty various types listed. Thanks!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, this is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yup, we had one of those when I was a kid!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

2431) This looks like a bottle opener for the crimped caps which used to be common on soda and beer bottles. 2432) A crimper for ferrules on hoses -- likely hydraulic or compressed air hoses, though it could be water hoses as well. 2433) I don't see any *practical* use for this, but it could be a demonstration of the effects of eddy currents if the ball contains a strong permanent magnet, and the shaft is a good electrical conductor, like copper or silver (perhaps coated to appear to be a different metal). If the ball is raised and then released, it would fall very slowly. 2434) I would like an alternative view of the tip, but assuming that it is a screwdriver bit, that makes this a speed screwdriver, operated by moving the end in a small circle. No good for high torque like installing a wood screw, but nice for moving a small long machine screw in or out its full length, and then switch to another more normal screwdriver for tightening. 2435) A home made device for crimping a seam -- such as perhaps a standing seam roof covering, where two adjacent sheets of metal have edges like this: (Use a fixed pitch font like Courier to avoid the distortion which would come from variable pitch fonts. +---+ | | | | | | ------------------+ +--------------------

The top of the left piece would really be more of a 'U' than the square, but that is more difficult to draw. In any case, after the sheets of metal are laid down on the roof, a tool is used to crimp the open 'U' tightly onto the upright straight piece, to form a water-tight seal. Normally, such a roof has many such seams.

The seam would not be crimped down quite a tightly as the closed image shows -- but likely the about what the gap would be if the two pieces of wood formed a straight line.

2436) This looks like the outer race of a Timken style tapered roller bearing bonded to a rubber outer ring to minimize transmission of vibration to the mount.

I don't know whether the irregular groove in the OD is intentional to make a softer cushion, or an artifact of disintegration and wear. A more direct view of the edge might make this clear.

Given the size, I would suggest that it is likely to be for something like a railroad passenger car or something similar.

Now to post this, and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Someone had sent me the photo so I can't take any more shots of it, the tip of this tool is a sharp point.

Reply to
Rob H.

2434 is an early can opener. The spike was driven into the center of the can top and the offset allowed moving the cutter wheel down to the can edge. It is interesting to note that there were no can openers patented until over 40 years after the cans were being made and used. One of the earliest was used by US Civil war troops.
Reply to
DanG

Yes, cork press is correct.

They've all been answered correctly this week, although I haven't been able to verify the metal crimper but I think that's the right answer for it:

Rob H.

Nailed it!

Reply to
Rob H.