What is it? Set 232

Page 2 of 2
R.H. wrote:

1301. Kerosene fueled brooder heater 1302. Belaying pins 1303. shingle removing tool for clearing off roofs before re-shingling, also very good on icy sidewalks. 1304. Wire wound rheostats, for toy trains or slot cars. 1305. Likely used on an optical table for light or laser work. 1306. For rolling new spline into a screen door when replacing screens.

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
1301)    Some kind of fuel powered lamp, with the structure     at the top a way to vent the hot gases.
1302)    Belaying pins. Were placed through holes in the rail     of large sailing ships were needed to allow lines to be looped     over the top and the bottom in a figure eight pattern. They     could be moved from an area where a line had just been released     to where another needed to be secured.
    And -- in certain situations, they could be used to "calm" an     upset crewman. :-)
1303)    This looks designed for breaking up ice buildup caused by     spinning tires so you can get unstuck in the winter.
1304)    An early "crystal" radio, with the usual crystal (gelanna (sp?)     held in poured lead, with a "catwhisker" positioned by the knob     pointing to the upper right. Except that in this example, the     crystal has been replaced by a much more modern germanium diode     connected between the two thumbnuts.
    Tuning was accomplished by the sliders moving contacts above the     coil.
    The more modern version still had a real crystal under the     catwhisker. Headphones connected to the two binding posts to     the left, and the antenna to the one to the right.
1305)    Now this is an interesting one -- and I suspect that the glass     is a diffraction grating used to break the visible light up into     a spectrum just as a prism does.
    The fine adjustments allow you to place the desired color over a     sensor or whatever experiment happens to use it at the time.
    I don't see the red glass ball -- but I suspect that it was     intended as an indicator that the incoming light was hitting the     right area on the diffraction grating.
1306)    Designed to either roll something like window screen into a     groove on a frame in the construction of window screen     assemblies.
    Or -- it could be to cut something (fabric, screen, whatever) on     a hard surface.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
1302. Belaying pins. I know of these because I have seen them on the big rigger sailing ships. But long before I knew of their use for rope, I had read of another use for them by almost all sailors of that era. They were also used as weapons. Indeed many pirates kept a couple of them on their person when fighting. If the single shot pistols were fired and there was a problem with a lost sword or a confined area, out came the belaying pins.
I would think a good whack or two from these belaying pins would take the fight out of almost anybody.
R.H. wrote:

1301: Carbide Lamp (?) 1302: Look to be some sort of latch pins 1303: Ice breaker/scraper (?) 1304: Old crystal radio. The posts are for earphones, the coil is for tuning 1305: No idea, not even a guess. Some kind of optical stage 1306: Cutting wheel for leather or some other tough material (?)

1301 It is a lantern used in mines. I believe it is a "Sir Humphrey Davis Safety Lantern or Lamp" The one I have has two fine wire mesh tapered cylinders above the glass under the cover and below the vents are also screened sothere could not be an explosion from the lantern. There is usually a spring operated "striker" to light the lamp. I am currently looking for a replacement spring.

1301 Davey lamp
1304 Crystal radio receiver (crystal set)
1305: the diffraction grating and mount from a monochromator or spectrometer. Jeweled movement: that "red ball" is probably a ruby bearing that engages a micrometer-screw driven surface to make fine angle adjustment (because of the linear motion of the micrometer, it will read out the sine of the angle).