What flush cutoff tools to use?

Friend is removing his flooring but the underlayment he wanted to remove go under the walls. So far all he could do is going around the rooms with a circular saw leaving about 2" underlayment sticking out from all the walls. Is there a tool that could cut the 1/4" plywood underlayment flush to the walls all around the house without burning itself up?
# Fred # wrote:
> Is there a tool that could cut the 1/4" plywood underlayment flush to the > walls all around the house without burning itself up?
Fein detail sander with carbide blade.
Lew

Amen. And, when you're done, you'll have a tool you can use for strange and common jobs for the next twenty plus years. Great tool. Not cheap.
Patriarch, who used his for a bathroom remodel, tile trimming and PVC DWV pipe surgery...

I saw that on Amazon.com but looks like it would burn up before going around the whole house plus it looks be slow too. Right? Also some mention the replace blade cost an arm and a leg.
# Fred # wrote:

No. That's why you buy it from Fein, not the cheap copy from LuckyGoldenHedgehog

It would take a long long time. But it would work.
doubt you will wear out a carbide blade

I just finished laying about 1,500 sf of laminate flooring on one house and on my second carbide blade on the sliding miter saw and also second carbide blade on the table saw. So its about 2 to 3 carbide blades for one project. (the old blade still works but it just chip the laminates) Over the past few years I've warn out stacks of carbide blades and even manage to burn out my Skil HD77. I'm on my second Skil - great saw.
Cutting underlayment is also cutting into staples and nails as part of the process and I don't know if any carbide blades will take this kind of usage for too long.

Does the underlayment actually go under the walls, or is it a baseboard?
My guess is that it's a baseboard and if so, it should be removed for both taking the old underlayment out and installing the new floor??
Mac

Goes under walls, both inside and outside walls.

Others have mentioned the Fein detail sander. IIRC it is now called the Fein Multimaster. It can be used with flush cutting blades and it sands also. I bought one for this exact type application.
Leon wrote:

Hmm, Does Porter Cable have a saw attachment for theirs?
--

FF

# Fred # wrote:

the recommendation for the fein is not a bad one- the tool will be useful to you for many things. for the application at hand it will be slow, although it will produce a very nice result.
there are other options, however:
<http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/crain/795_toe_kick_saw.htm?L+coastest+gryt6327ff9c969c+1156181818 <http://tinyurl.com/k2tn9
<http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdQ596-353-1640VS>
<http://www.theflushcut.biz/
You can use a toekick saw to cut it free. It's essentially a small circular saw with a 2 3/4-inch-diameter carbide-tipped blade mounted on an extended arbor. You won't find this saw at a home center... check with a local tool rental yard or a company that supplies tools to the flooring trade.
Tony Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh /
--

# Fred # wrote:
> Is there a tool that could cut the 1/4" plywood underlayment flush to the

That's what I used. Much faster and easier than the Fein saw. The Fein is a good tool but what a pain to do a whole room with one.
The rental is a good suggestion unless, like me your a tool junkie!
Dave

I was thinking about of getting one of this. I heard one contractor got hurt using it - no depth control and runs away if you don't have a firm grip on it - and ended up in the emergency hospital. Is it that dangerous or something you just get use to it? I have no problems operating chainsaws, table or radial arm saws.

hurt
Although I'm a big fan of the Fein (and it would be great for something like this -- even for the whole house) another, safe possibility would be to use one of those roto-zip abominations, with a 45-degree guide and a longish bit. Set it up so it penetrates just the subfloor when oriented at the (guided) 45 degree angle, and zip away. When (not if) you run into a nail, just change out the bit. Much cheaper than the fein blades. Of course, when you're done with the house, just throw the whole thing away. It'll likely be toast, but if you find it at a yard sale or ebay, you won't be out much money.
"Chip"
# Fred # wrote:

What about the Dremel with the little saw attachment and the flex shaft?
-jtpr
jtpr wrote:

A Dremel would die within a couple of hours. I burned up a brand new XPS Dremel earlier this year cutting up laminate. I literally bought it, burned it out, then returned it in a single day. I even used it according to the manual.
I exchanged it for a new one, but now I don't use it for anything more than cutting the heads of screws and the like. We had an older one where I used to work, and it was nigh bulletproof.