What size flush hinges to use

Hi All,

As part of my cabinet building, I am planning on using flush hinges for the doors and fitting them so that the door sits inside the carcass. Both carcass and door are made from 18mm ply and I am pinning 5mm ply to the front of both. For the carcass, this is to cover the join of the carcasses for adjacent cupboards and also covers the end of the ply. For the door it is to make it shaker style.

Question is... what size hinges to use. 63mm seem to be correct for 18mm ply as the holes are largely in the middle of the board. With the 5mm ply on top though it is now close to the edge. Next size up (75mm?) seem to be very bulky. If I glue and ping the 5mm ply to the 18mm ply, would this be strong enough to hold the screws in place (i.e. close to the centre of the 23mm but it would be only 5.5mm from the edge of the 18mm ply - if you see what I mean?).

Any other cunning ideas?

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

Are these going to be those self closing hinges you get on kitchen units or some kind of magnetic catch doors? If the latter, I got away with piano hinges, a lot more screws though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I suggest you visit Blum's website which has very detailed information about their whole range of hinges:

Good diagrams, measurements, specifications, fitting requirements. Even if you ended up choosing another company's products, it is likely a useful starting point.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I think the OP is talking about Butt Hinges.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Ah well! They still sell soft-close buffers which might be useful.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

thanks both. These are the sorts of hinges I was referring to...

leen...

Can you just change my reply to be a "cunning idea" as an alternative approach. :-)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

:)

Reply to