What does sliding Miter Saw do over a non sliding saw

Page 2 of 4

Where did you get your information concerning the accuracy of the slider vs. non-slider? Did you measure it, or simply parrot some information that you read somewhere? I have a 12" Dewalt SCMS and a Dewalt 12" CMS and have done a bunch of tests. When the saws are adjusted properly there is zero difference in the accuracy of the cut.
In my opinion the biggest differences in the two saws is that the SCMS can cut wider pieces, but it also takes a lot more room away from the wall.
Bob McBreen
as long as YOU are happy with the accuracy that's all that matters. I don't even use my Dewalt CMS for precise cross-cuts. I use a sled. By using a moving blade and the Bies fence I can quickly cut a number of boards to exact length and the cut is cleaner than what comes off my Dewalt, even using an 80 tooth blade. A moving WWII gives a better cut than the 80 Dewalt. Plus the DeWalt is thin kerf and it WILL flex when cutting wider boards, even those that aren't very thick, and YES, even if I go pretty slowly. Take a straight edge to a 6" board (baltic birch comes to mind) cut on a non-slider, using a thin kerf blade, and look at the bow in the cut. I suppose if I slow WAAAY down so that it takes forever to get the blade through, the cut would be straight. I'm not that patient. I'm also not forcing it; after cutting too fast, I slowed down, figuring the cuts would be acceptable; they weren't and that day I built a sled.
I stand by the statement that the slider is less accurate. Read up on them. I don't really care how YOU 'feel' about yours, I've observed them and wouldn't buy one for precision work. Would I buy one if I was a contractor framing a house. Yeah!
dave
RWM wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Gee, I put together a number of 12 segment rings that went together without the need to sand to fit. The segments were cut on a Makita LS1013 slider. I guess 24 cuts at 15 degrees each, with practically 0 degree combined error, isn't precision work.

without the

guess 24

precision
The results sound great to me. 12 segments at 15 degrees is a complicated assembly.
Bob McBreen

without the

guess 24

precision
I have a Makita LS1013 also, great saw i can't imagine doing alot of projects without it anymore. as far as accuricy goes i am amazed at how well it does with trim work.
that's 2 votes for the Makita.
Thompson Family wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote...

The Makita's a good saw, too. I've used both. They are equal tools in my opinion.
Jim

You seem to have an interesting way of non answering. The topic was sliding miter saws vs. non-sliding miter saws, not miter saws vs. cross cut sleds on a table saw. My question was if you had measured the accuracy difference, or if you were parroting something that you had read. From your answer it is pretty clear that you have read about the accuracy of sliding miter saws, and you have measured the accuracy of the cut that you get with your non-slider, but it sounds like you have never investigated the difference between sliders and non-sliders. I wonder why you felt you had information to add to the slider vs. non-slider comparison.
I also don't understand the following:
"I use a sled. By using a moving blade and the Bies fence I can quickly cut a number of boards to exact length."
Are you using a sled, the fence, or both to cross cut?
Bob McBreen
RWM wrote:

With all respect (not looking to pick a fight <g>) the OP was concerned about accuracy as the thread progressed. BAD's reply (though I need more info before I accept his responses at full value) dealt with accuracy. (Dave -- I use a 10" thin kerf almost exclusively in my TS. ISTM there may be something else with your setup causing the discernable inaccuracy when crosscutting. Also, not trying to pic a fight... <g>) Therefore I find Dave's comments completely in the thread, though they differ from the specifics of the original post.
IMHO... <g>
-- Mark
Mark, you'll find there are a handful of characters here who would argue with me if I said the sky was blue. I give up trying to reason with them after the second go-around, usually. :) They go off topic constantly, yet they complain about the on-topic discussion of accuracy that I brought up. If you ever agree with me you'll will be branded by the low lifes that attempt to control this news group. Mob mentality is alive and well on the Wreck.
Write something, quick, to me telling me what a useless, shiftless, demonic, moronic, nitwit I am. Then you'll be in their good graces.
dave
Mark Jerde wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Well, right now, outside my window it's black with little white sparkley thingies and occasional fluffy white thingies... <g>

My very first job after college a wise, old, retired Air Force pilot took me under his wing. To boil down everything he taught me, the essence is to write and speak from the other bloke's point of view.
I have read many things you have posted. Considering the whole paragraph, they make sense. But you, as I did before the retired Colonel grabbed my ear and made me understand, tend to write *first* in DISagreement, then agreement. If you develop the habit of simply reversing these, people will take much less offense. Very few people have developed the discipline to read an entire article or paragraph and then pass judgement -- usually each sentence, in turn, provides the cascading emotional impact.
I suggest you learn to do what I was taught to do in the early 1980's. Instead of writing,
"Charlie, that's the single stupidest thing I've ever heard. But in some ways I agree with you. The grommit should always be impaled on the gadget..."
you should *consciously* try to write like this,
"Charlie, I agree completely about impaling the grommit on the gadget. That makes perfect sense, and I do it all the time. But I don't agree with your point about the fridget on the slammer. It seems to me ..."
The second techique focuses on the specifics; the first, unfortunately, tends to focus on the individuals, no matter the merits of the ancillary information.
To choose to use the 2nd technique takes lots of discipline and willingness to read what one has written through they eyes of another. It also requires a concious decision to demote one's own ego. I know this, because I've been married over 20 years and have two teenagers. <g> Almost daily, my decision is between "Do I want to foster growth and understanding" or "Do I need to beat my chest the hardest, showing I'm the biggest ape in the jungle?" It's not easy, but I usually choose to make sure the others feel they are communicating accurately. (Many are the times I've sat in my car afterward, listening to 1970's music, and crying... A 40+ year old dude sitting in a Firebird crying in the rain?: Yup.)
To summarize, I believe if you hone your delivery skills you will be better able to get your content across. The keys are to write from the other person's point of view and to take one's own ego out of the writing as much as possible.
I have a lot more I could write on this, In fact, I paused a very long time after writing "Yup." trying to decide if more was apprpriate. I decided it was better to wait for feedback, if any.
Summarizing: BAD, it seems to me that sometimes you make very good points in such a way that many people take offense. You can learn to no create these needless offenses; I have done so myself.
Thought? Comments?
-- Mark
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 06:05:59 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:16:49 GMT, Michael Baglio

I'll be watching...
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:16:49 GMT, Michael Baglio

... for those flying pigs. ;>

<SNIP>
better
much
time
it
My concern was not with the style of delivery, but rather if the information that BAD posted was based in fact. I tend to get along with most people and have learned that over time I really enjoy spending time with people who at first I didn't understand.
It doesn't seem like the information that BAD posted was based in fact, and posting information that you have no real knowledge of is a huge disservice to the newsgroup
Bob McBreen
Hisss, Spitt, Groooowwwwlllll .....
Some of these posts .....
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark,
Very well thought out discourse which I can honestly say impressed me with it's balanced tone and sincerity. I DO agree that delivery is important for the message to be received. Now if the other side will just play nice, we could all go back "on topic" and leave the character assassinating posts to die a well-deserved death.
dave
Mark Jerde wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

every once in a while it's successful...
-- Mark

may
I agree with a lot of what you have to say, but I was trying to get BAD to state if he had really investigated the accuracy difference between the types of saws. I find that many times people like to repeat things that they have read to try to present themselves as knowledgeable. I have, and use, both types of saws and one of the first things that I did after purchasing the scms was to test the accuracy. I found zero difference even though that I had read in many articles the throw away line "that scms were less accurate than cms."
There are a lot of "expert" woodworkers who don't cut a lot of wood...
Bob McBreen
So all the reviewers are wrong? And we are to believe your anecdodal "evidence"? Do you see how easily the tables can be turned? You castigate me as "presenting" myself as knowledgeable. There is nothing disingenuous with providing information gleaned from reading, especially from various reputable sources, for the consumption of others. If you feel your slider is accurate, fine; I'm not so inclined. I've looked at more than several of them and every time I grabbed their movable saw, I could elicit a noticeable amount of side play; no matter the brand. I've concluded from repeated observation AND reading that they won't suit my purposes. Am I wrong? could be? Am I evil or stupid for stating my opinion? Apparently in YOUR myopic eyes. Do I care? NO!!!!
dave