We wonder why americans are so fat.

Page 2 of 4
"Steve Knight"

Think of the additional money you would have if you had better transportation.
You know, I'm a little miffed that nobody commiserated with me about walking my ass off on those stairs, and still having the damn love handles.
On the day she went in for some test thing, I walked the entire perimeter of the hospital property, in the snow, about 27 times. Must have been five miles or better. At a really good "heart pumping cardio pace." But still bupkis. I haven't lost one ounce. Dammit.
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:54:26 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan

http://isbn.nu/093347816X The Yeast Connection Cookbook: A Guide to Good Nutrition and Better Health. From $4.
Discusses food allergies and nutrition, and shares healthful recipes for breads, soups, salads, fish, vegetables, meat, poultry, and desserts.
by William G. Crook, M. D.; Marjorie Hurt Jones, R. N. Editions: Paperback (Professional Books, August 1, 1989), revised edition, cover price $15.95
I dropped 20 lbs the month I was on it and will be doing it again, RSN. I felt a WHOLE lot better, too.
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah but that (interesting stuff) isn't commissserrration dammit. How the hell do you splee commissserrrattttttionnnnnnnnn anyway? I think I have too many consonants in it.

How is having a car and paying all those huge expenses going to get me more money?
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:27:55 -0800, Steve Knight

Steve, prestige, man, prestige! It's priceless, so the cost is irrelevant.
I just love being asked "How long 'till you get your license back?" by the counter clerk when I make a beer or wine run by bicycle. I explain that the DUI folks ride bikes with the drop bars flipped downside up. <G>
I've also been handed business cards for towing companies when riding to Auto Zone for oil change supplies. I've never seen a car yet that needed to be towed, but was repairable with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and an oil filter!
Barry
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:41:04 GMT, B a r r y
theory ......and in reply I say!:

And tho do _ewyou_ thweety!

Yeth, I dooo.
It'h just thoo nice of you to notice!
Barry ;^)
OldNick wrote:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Although, while we're getting into obnoxious ground on cyclist gear and stuff, I hate those shorts. Not because they accentuate the negative (because everything below the love handles looks pretty good) but because I don't enjoy applying 357,000 psi of spandex pressure to my nuts. Ouch. Those things HURT.
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:34:18 -0500, Silvan

Try the right size! <G> Bibs are a bit more comfortable everywhere else.
You could also try "baggies". These are shorts similar to camping shorts, with a moisture transferring spandex liner and chamois inside.
Like this: <http://store1.yimg.com/I/zootstore_1828_19464299
Baggies aren't all that comfortable on road bikes, but on more upright and slower moving mountain, hybrid, and comfort bikes, they're great. On road bikes, they tend to interfere with low, aero positions, make adding and subtracting layers harder, and flap in the wind.
Barry
How long have you had this fascination?
Gerry
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:13:59 GMT, Jim Behning

Yeah, I live on the outskirts of a city that people built in the desert. They wanted to mine the ores nearby and found a reasonably green area between the Catalina and Tucson mountains, along a river bed. Rocky hills plus river bed = winding roads. The city of Tucson is around 800k people this time of year (snowbirds + college students + gem & mineral show attendees + permanent residents)

Obviously the point was wasted on you. You obviously feel that a conveyance that can at best, travel about half the speed of normal traffic has every bit as much right to use as much of the road as it wants to regardless of who it inconveniences.
... snip

If they are on the shoulder, well away from cars, doesn't bother me a bit.
In actuality, the inconvenience is only a secondary consideration in this whole discussion. My main issue is frankly the safety issue. It just seems totally irrational to me that people, for enjoyment, put themselves in a position where they are doing half the speed of the prevailing traffic, put themselves in situations where they may not be seen by that traffic, and are the ones who are going to lose, and lose bigtime, if they wind up interacting in a negative way with that traffic. I don't want to be the person that such an event happens to; the circumstance where one must make a a split second choice between driving over a slow-moving bicycle 2 feet into the right lane on a curve or swerving left into the oncoming path of another vehicle and causing a head-on collision --- that bothers me.
At the same time, other folks who have riding hobbies somehow manage to pack up their vehicles or animals and drive someplace that accomodates those vehicles in a safe manner.
I've said my peace on this issue.

... snip

Driving is all about "split-second choices". If you can't handle those choices, maybe you should get out of that hurtling hunk of steel and glass BEFORE your incompetence kills someone - maybe even yourself.

I've said my *piece* too.
Gerry
The answer is *not* to penalize the people

god forbid if someone makes a driver a bit late. Hell I can't even cross the street as drivers won't stop turning right. How many times have I had to jump out of the way of some driver who did not yield the right of way when it was time for me to cross? try riding a bike then you will get your recreational activities and relive some stress your getting yourself under.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Maybe there are FEW alternative routes for them to get to or from their homes or their destinations. Could they be insensitive enough to be actually using bicycles for transportation?

They can't be very competent drivers. God help them if there happens to be a stationary object like a stopped car (fender bender?). Does your "sore spot" allow pedestrians or are those drivers incapable of slowing down even momentarily?

What do you see as its "intended purpose"? Are you saying that bicyclists were never part of the purpose and that it's OK to "penalize" them instead?

By substituting "drivers" and "bicyclists", I'm hoping to show you that hurtling along in 4000 lbs. of steel and glass should require the "wisdom and courtesy" you are seeking.

You resent "taking away time". What might they lose, twelve seconds per cyclist? Maybe a whopping twenty seconds? Their dinners will still be hot. Their TV show (Dr. Phil?) will still be on. They won't be losing several hours a day from their busy lives, will they?
You need to get some perspective IMNSHO.

Sorry, I think you have a hard on against bicyclists and are trying to rationalise your dislike with a weak arguement.
Bicyclists are not all tree-hugging, yoghurt-eating, Birkenstock-wearing nancy boys or superhuman athletes like Lance Armstrong, they are everyday brothers, sisters, moms, dads, sons, daughters... Cut them some slack.
Gerry
Todd Fatheree wrote:

A word of wisdom from my oldman. "It's better to be wrong and alive than right and dead" John

In the US, all 50 states recognize bicycles as "vehicular traffic" and a percentage of all federal road construction dollars are now supposed to be used for pedestrian and bicycle access.
<http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/bikeped/index.htm <http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/bike/resourceguide/index.html
I'm realistic enough not to "take" the right of way in front of 18 wheeler while wearing an "I have a right to the road" sign, but I wouldn't make that statement to an accident investigator after a car-bike crash. <G> I'm also realistic enough to know that cyclists disobey laws as often as motorists, and that the right of way is granted, not taken.
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

I have no problem with the theory, but in practice, it just doesn't work. If you're *in* the road, you're in the way. It's hard to even *idle* a car at the same speed an average bike is moving. That means you need to get off to the side, but there isn't any place to ride off to the side in the vast vast majority of situations, so you're left either trying to run up the gravel, or run up the narrow strip of pavement on the gravel side of the solid white line. Either way, it's dangerous, and you're still too damn close to the traffic. People generally will move over a little when they can, but they often can't, and they often don't even when they could have. It all adds up to making cycling on public roads look like one of the most suicidal endeavors ever invented. Except in the 0.01% of places that actually have intelligently designed bike lanes and whatnot anyway.
None of that around here, so I either walk or drive. I feel that when I'm walking, I can dodge faster, and more safely. Walking feels comparatively secure, while riding a bike feels like I've got a target painted on my back. Oh well, walking is good too. Easier on the knees too. Pedalling up these hills around here is absolute hell on my knees.
I had a lot of fun on my bike while the highway was being built though. Dirt at first, then pavement mixed with gravel and dirt, then mostly pavement, then eventually full blown pavement with lines and everything. I bought a speedometer so I could see how far I rode and stuff. It was cool getting on my bike at the top of the hill in one town and then pedalling like a bastard for awhile, getting the thing up to about 45 mph, and then coasting the rest of the way up and down a few more hills until I wound up in the next town. Going right down the dotted white line. That was so cool.
Until they opened the highway up.
(Actually, 45 mph was too fast for that Wal-Mart special. It felt like I was going to wreck if I ran over a flea, so I only did that a couple of times.)

got to learn to gear right and spin so you don't hurt you knee's.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

It don't go no lower than the big super spinny pedal 13,000 times per one revolution of the wheel gear, and that ain't low enough for my knees.