Way OT: my lawnmower

This is way off topic but maybe someone knows.. With a full tank of gas, my lawnmower stops running after about 15 minutes. After it stops, I press the primer button a couple of times and it starts back up. Then after a couple of lines, it dies again. It does this repeatedly until I finish about 30 minutes later. I've already taken the carburetor off and cleaned with carb cleaner. I cleaned the air filter. I cleaned the siphon tube. It does not misfire or run rough in any way. It acts like it stops drawing gas. Any help? BTW its a an MTD 4hp push mower about 5 years old.

-- Tim

-------- See my page @

(seriously needs updating)

Reply to
Tim V

The air vent on your gas tank is blocked and it's developing a vacuum in the tank. Try running it with the cap open and see if that helps.

Reply to
Roy Smith

steve and roy may be correct; also check for a clogged fuel filter. cars will run for a while and then stop or slow down when the fuel pickup screen in the tank is clogged.

dave

Tim V wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Also - check the primer bulb for a pin hole or a crack. When you prime it - your finger may be covering the hole (if it's there.) When the engine is running - you should see gas in that bulb at all times.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

I don't have a fuel filter. The carb has a pickup tube going straight down into the gas tank. At the bottom of the tube is a screen. I already tried cleaning out that screen. It did have some debris on it, but it didn't make a difference in the cyclic running. My primer bulb is black rubber. I can't see through it. Any ideas on how I can check if it has a pin hole in it?

-- Tim

-------- See my page @

(seriously needs updating)

Reply to
Tim V

All of the above + you are sure that you have fresh gas...right?

Reply to
Leon

Filled two 5-gallon containers about 2 weeks ago.

-- Tim

-------- See my page @

(seriously needs updating)

Reply to
Tim V

can check if it has a > pin hole in it?

uhhhhh...like you were tweaking a certain nipple?? Somebody had to say it and I thought it was my turn! Hope I didn't jump ahead in line. :-)

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

There is not a plastic cap under the gas cap that looks like it belongs there Is there? It is supossed to be thrown away when the mower is 1st. st up. thanks, Tony D.

Reply to
Tony D.

Other than the other suggestions, I had something fall into the gas tank once. It would run a while, then the object would block the gas line and the engine would stop. After it stopped and sat a while, the object would float away from the gas line and I could start it again. It would run for a while until the object blocked the line again. And so on, and so on. It took a while to figure it out. Also, if you have an air leak in the siphon tube, it can do the same thing.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I assume that this fellow's mower isn't new.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Tim,

We need the brand of engine on the mower and the engine model number. Should be on the flywheel housing somewhere... Briggs engines are usually on the top, Tecumseh on the side or a tag on a bolt. Honda is embossed in the rear of the crankcase.

Bob

Reply to
bob

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:48:46 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara" pixelated:

Huh? You're thinking "boat" fuel system, Jums. Mower primer bulbs are almost all black/opaque and the hole in the outside means that it would never have gas in it.

Of course, you use pineywood, so I wouldn't put it past you to mow the yard with a Merc 90 that had string trimmer lines dangling from the pretty, shiny, brass prop, KWIM,V?

P.S: 10:1 it's a clogged fuel cap vent.

- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? -

Full Service Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tim ...

If you try everything and still can't get the mower to work satisfactorily, there's probably a guy in the newsgroup who'll trade you a nice plane or two for it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Reply to
rodgerp

Soory LJ and GTO - my new Bolens 4.75 hp has a clear primer button, the same as my old Murry and yes - my weedeater also has a clear (but somewhat yellowed) primer bulb.

10:1 odds - huh? Hmmm - it's either that or an extremely dirty air filter. Before you say it - I know - he said he cleaned the air filter. Sometimes the cells in the foam crush and can no longer be cleaned. This will also rob the engine as well. I wonder if he has tried taking off the fuel cap and the air filter and see if it clears up? If so - then replace one at a time and check for normalcy.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

The diaphragm has a hole in it... usually under about 3-4 screws on the carb.

Reply to
solarman

What brand engine have these mowers of yours had? I've had 12 mowers and worked on maybe 20 more, all with black, white, or red primers. Briggs, Tecumseh, Lawn Boy, Suzuki, etc. All opaque and air-filled.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:15:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@cox-internet.com pixelated:

No, a clogged air filter would flood it so the primer wouldn't be of any use. That's the opposite of what he has, Rog.

- The advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier. ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm going to try removing the gas cap (or at least loosen it most of the way) and then removing the air filter if the gas cap thing doesn't work. I'll just have to be careful not the get grass or dirt into the carb opening. I'll try this weekend so I don't have to waste gas just to try it out.

-- Tim

-------- See my page @

(seriously needs updating)

Reply to