Way OT: my lawnmower

Page 1 of 2
This is way off topic but maybe someone knows.. With a full tank of gas, my lawnmower stops running after about 15 minutes. After it stops, I press the primer button a couple of times and it starts back up. Then after a couple of lines, it dies again. It does this repeatedly until I finish about 30 minutes later. I've already taken the carburetor off and cleaned with carb cleaner. I cleaned the air filter. I cleaned the siphon tube. It does not misfire or run rough in any way. It acts like it stops drawing gas. Any help? BTW its a an MTD 4hp push mower about 5 years old.
-- Tim -------- See my page @ http://www.wood-workers.com/users/timv/ (seriously needs updating)

The air vent on your gas tank is blocked and it's developing a vacuum in the tank. Try running it with the cap open and see if that helps.
steve and roy may be correct; also check for a clogged fuel filter. cars will run for a while and then stop or slow down when the fuel pickup screen in the tank is clogged.
dave
Tim V wrote:

Also - check the primer bulb for a pin hole or a crack. When you prime it - your finger may be covering the hole (if it's there.) When the engine is running - you should see gas in that bulb at all times.
Jim

I don't have a fuel filter. The carb has a pickup tube going straight down into the gas tank. At the bottom of the tube is a screen. I already tried cleaning out that screen. It did have some debris on it, but it didn't make a difference in the cyclic running. My primer bulb is black rubber. I can't see through it. Any ideas on how I can check if it has a pin hole in it? -- Tim -------- See my page @ http://www.wood-workers.com/users/timv/ (seriously needs updating)
Tim V wrote:

uhhhhh...like you were tweaking a certain nipple?? Somebody had to say it and I thought it was my turn! Hope I didn't jump ahead in line. :-)
Scott
up later, the damage remains.
pixelated:

Huh? You're thinking "boat" fuel system, Jums. Mower primer bulbs are almost all black/opaque and the hole in the outside means that it would never have gas in it.
Of course, you use pineywood, so I wouldn't put it past you to mow the yard with a Merc 90 that had string trimmer lines dangling from the pretty, shiny, brass prop, KWIM,V?
P.S: 10:1 it's a clogged fuel cap vent.
- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? - http://diversify.com Full Service Web Application Programming
Soory LJ and GTO - my new Bolens 4.75 hp has a clear primer button, the same as my old Murry and yes - my weedeater also has a clear (but somewhat yellowed) primer bulb.
10:1 odds - huh? Hmmm - it's either that or an extremely dirty air filter. Before you say it - I know - he said he cleaned the air filter. Sometimes the cells in the foam crush and can no longer be cleaned. This will also rob the engine as well. I wonder if he has tried taking off the fuel cap and the air filter and see if it clears up? If so - then replace one at a time and check for normalcy.
Jim

What brand engine have these mowers of yours had? I've had 12 mowers and worked on maybe 20 more, all with black, white, or red primers. Briggs, Tecumseh, Lawn Boy, Suzuki, etc. All opaque and air-filled.
GTO(John)

I'm going to try removing the gas cap (or at least loosen it most of the way) and then removing the air filter if the gas cap thing doesn't work. I'll just have to be careful not the get grass or dirt into the carb opening. I'll try this weekend so I don't have to waste gas just to try it out.
-- Tim -------- See my page @ http://www.wood-workers.com/users/timv/ (seriously needs updating)
Dont remove the gas cap;;;!!!! simply loosen it a turn or two. You dont want gasoline splashing around on your yard or you may not have any more grass to mow. Try just letting the mower set still and run for the allotted time.
If that does not fix it, go and get a Honda. I bought my Honda in 1987, and it has never been in the shop, has had 1 air filter and spark plug replacement, still starts on the first pull even after setting up through the winter, and the oil stays perfectly clean... 17 seasons and counting.

I'd probably advise against getting a new Honda these days. The engines are great, but the rest of the mower (lots of user complaints with the drive system) can be fragile and parts are very $$.
Toro, John Deer, Snapper, Lawn Boy, and Ariens are in the same range as Honda, with more happy owners. Actually, I might not put LB up there any more. The 2-stroke engines are going to be dropped next year.
I have a Toro from 1987, Lawn Boys from 1965, 1973, 1986, and 1992, plus a Flymo from the '70s all in good shape. No work needed other than some age-related problems in the old LBs.
GTO(John)

All of the above + you are sure that you have fresh gas...right?

Filled two 5-gallon containers about 2 weeks ago.
-- Tim -------- See my page @ http://www.wood-workers.com/users/timv/ (seriously needs updating)
There is not a plastic cap under the gas cap that looks like it belongs there Is there? It is supossed to be thrown away when the mower is 1st. st up. thanks, Tony D.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote in message

I assume that this fellow's mower isn't new.
GTO(John)

Other than the other suggestions, I had something fall into the gas tank once. It would run a while, then the object would block the gas line and the engine would stop. After it stopped and sat a while, the object would float away from the gas line and I could start it again. It would run for a while until the object blocked the line again. And so on, and so on. It took a while to figure it out. Also, if you have an air leak in the siphon tube, it can do the same thing.
Preston

Tim,
We need the brand of engine on the mower and the engine model number. Should be on the flywheel housing somewhere... Briggs engines are usually on the top, Tecumseh on the side or a tag on a bolt. Honda is embossed in the rear of the crankcase.
Bob

Tim ...
If you try everything and still can't get the mower to work satisfactorily, there's probably a guy in the newsgroup who'll trade you a nice plane or two for it. <g>
Lee
Check your Air Filter. If it is real dirty that will cause the same problem.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:45:36 -0500, "Tim V"