Waxing Drawer Guides

What kind of wax do you use to wax drawer guides to make it slide easier?

They sell Beeswax at Woodcraft, but its pretty pricey. Will candle wax work ok? What do most people use?

Reply to
stoutman

Can't speak for "most people," but I use Johnson's Paste Wax, the stuff in the yellow can.

Jim Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

Candle wax is fine ,make sure you also do the drawer sides also. mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

Go to grocery store, buy the parafin they sell for canning, use that.

I have even disolved parafin in acetone and painted it on so it would be absorbed into the wood in some cases

John

Reply to
John Crea

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact, I just got back from the grocery store and got the paraffin wax.

The acetone is also a good idea. I had not thought of that.

This NG is awesome.

Reply to
stoutman

candle wax will work fine.

Reply to
Bridger

Candle wax works fine - I expect virtually any kind of wax would. I've even used a bar of soap when I didn't have a candle handy.

One snippet - don't sand the base of your drawers or the runners or guides. Loose abrasive embeds itself in the stock and will greatly accelerate wear.

Cheers

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

I use Butchers wax. My Dad told me about it years ago.

Wayne

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
mail_$

So it must have been not only the birds and the bees but the beeswax also. mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

Didn't I just read where you're not supposed to be funny?

Reply to
Swingman

Try ordering a roll of low friction tape from Lee Valley. I used it to do every drawer in our kitchen, as well as every drawer at our cottage over a year ago. I still have lots left over. Works great!!

Luck!

Reply to
BNightly

Reply to