Water-based dyes

Can anyone direct me to information as to the hows/whys/wherefores and general properties of water-based wood dyes? I've read somewhere that they do not stain wood as well as solvent-based dyes. Thank you.
"Richard G. Dillman" wrote:

Here's one article written by Jeff Jewitt:
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/tech_dyes.htm
I've been using some of Jeff's dyes lately. I really like them. They are easy to use, don't muddy the grain. They're the best I've seen on maple.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com