Question on Wiped Polyurethane Finish

I'm finishing an English oak cabinet. I've used polyurethane varnish, diluted around 40% with white spirit. I've applied three coats, each rubbed wet with 400 grit paper and the residue removed after a further 15 minutes or so. The result is a nice flat, smooth finish which is completely matt. How do I now complete the job to leave a little sheen or satin glow to the oak? Should I apply the poly mix without the abrasive paper, or should I apply wax over the finish?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Almond

I'd go with wax. Any furniture wax should be just the ticket.

I'm getting to where I wax *everything* now. I really like the look and feel.

Reply to
Silvan

Wax will help, it fills the minute scratches in the finish. Might want to try a finer abradsive then a coat of paste wax. Apply the wax and rub a bit with a stochbrite pad. Then allow to haze over & buff. Thanks, Tony D.

Reply to
Tony D.

try a gray or white pad (synthetic steel wool), or 0000 steel wool, and if that is too shiny for you, 000.

dave

Steve Alm> I'm finishing an English oak cabinet. I've used polyurethane varnish,

Reply to
Bay Area Dave