Was : Jointer Planes

All,

Thanks for the insight on hand planes over the last couple of posts -- I just entered Neaderdum and ordered a #4 1/2, #7,#95 and a cabinet scraper so I am off to the races. Under the "Cry once" policy I chose LN planes -- I figure I'm setting the stage for a future gloat for a wRECker in about 60 years -- once I am dead and these planes find themselves at the flea market at the bottom of a rusty bucket.........

Cheers Eric

Reply to
Sam the Cat

#4 1/2 = $300.00 #7 = $400.00 #95 = $125.00 #85? = $195.00 < for the price diff of $15 I would head up to the LN #112 myself... But MANY congrats and envies, $1,020.00!!

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

As earlier posters have said, old Stanlys are excellent, with a little tuning and care. I have had good luck on E-Bay, purchasing #8 for about $30 I believe, recieved it in excellent shape, honed the blade and went straight to work. Same with several others. While I still drool over a LN scraper or low angle block, the price is out of my range.

Reply to
Gary

Yeah same here, but these days an original Stanley #112 is out of my range to, because they're too desireable. A new Veritas is not much more @$129.xx, or at least "it's not bad" for a new one. If I need a plane I will just seek out the Stanleys and any other decent type. But I would like to know if any other company of the past also made good scraper planes... record, sargeant, winchester, because those copiers should be just as good, they wanted the serious market that Stanley had back then.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK