Vix bits vs. "Hinge" bits

Page 2 of 2

I bought a few cheapies from Lowes a while back from the clearance table and had the same problem. Fixed it by unscrewing the sleeve and cutting the spring on one and changing the spring on the other. They work fine now.
I have the Lee Valley bits. I used them to change about a hundred hinges on some cabinets. They worked OK, but every couple of hours I would have to disassemble them to lubricate and clean out metal particles that they were grinding up where the parts rubbed. I just about wore one out. They should be built to not self destruct so fast.
wrote:

I bought a few cheapies from Lowes a while back from the clearance table and had the same problem. Fixed it by unscrewing the sleeve and cutting the spring on one and changing the spring on the other. They work fine now.

To keep these type bits cleared out use the fastest speed drill that you own, typically a regular rechargeable drill does not spin fast enough however a rechargeable impact driver is typically OK. Don't waste time, drill the hole quickly and pull the bit out, this will help prevent the shavings from "packing in".

Thanks for the replies. I'll try cleaning them up and stuff and see if a change in technique helps before springing for a new set.
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

I have the Vix bits,they often do the same thing when chips don't clear the bit. I've never really seen this as a major problem, a quick tug on the shaft and it's good to go. The application for the bits doesn't really see a very high volume of holes at any one time, so it doesn't really slow things down.