Very cool, but expensive...

Page 3 of 4
On 11/3/2015 10:08 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

The problem with the low bid is that the client still expects the high bid results.

OK, there's a valid point. Doesn't seem like something you'd do terribly often, but I guess when you're at the "money's no object" level, you might want a bannister with hidden, dissassemblable fastners.
John
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

Are the ceilings, walls, and floors also assembled with hidden, disassemblable fasteners so they can be taken outside when they need refinishing?
On 11/2/2015 6:29 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Jeez, John
Is it that hard for you to concede that there are certain tools, certain materials, certain procedures, etc. that exist solely to fill a unique or oddball use or nitch?
Following this thread I don't see where anyone has suggested universal use of the fastening system nor even wide use of it. Why not give it a rest? If you can't run for King of the World and ban the damn fastener and be done with it. Either that or grab a cup of STFU.
snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net says...

I'm not the one who suggested that such a thing would be used for "bannisters in high end houses" so that they could be removed for the purpose of being refinished without annoying the occupants of said house with the odors associated with refinishing.
If they need to be removed from the house in order to avoid such annoyance, then why doesn't everything else that is likely to need to be refinished also need to be removed from the house for refinishing?

You've totally missed the point.

Perhaps if you did this type work you would understand. FWIW you typically don't remove paint from walls. It's not uncommon at all to remove the finish from a banister which can raise a lot of dust or add another chemical smell to the mix. Anyway you asked and you got your answer.

In that case they would go on vacation in Morocco for 3 months while that is going on.

doesn't sound like a great idea.

If you're really up on things, you'll lay the floor over steel beams spaced every 4' or so. A few of those rare earth magnets (do not carry one in each pocket!) and not only can the walls be removed for refinishing but they can be rearranged as desired.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 11/1/2015 9:10 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Why would you want to remove a bannister? IIRC TOH used the tool and fastener to attach a banister. So, they were not building a new house IIRC and they removed the previous banister to replace with the new one.
There could be multiple reasons to remove a banister but IMHO who ever does it next time will not have a clue if it has this type fastener or the tool to loosen it.
On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 03:27:56 -0400, "J. Clarke"

perhaps along with gluing the joint?
I didn't see what kind of tool or fitting is being discussed, but there are hidden scre/bolt type fasteners used for that purpose all the time.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

<(Amazon.com product link shortened) ie=UTF8&qid46335447&sr=8-1&keywords=lamello+invis+mx+starter+kit>
On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 10:24:10 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

I like this system better. Five Minute Furniture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shJhMd7t8Zc

The inventor turned down the Shark Tank deal. He wanted $250K for a 25% equity stake in his company. They offered him $250K for the patent rights but wanted *nothing* to do with him. They flat out didn't trust him.
I think he got a deal from someone else but I don't see any indication that the furniture is for sale anywhere. Having moved a few kids in and out of college dorms and apartments, I'd have gladly paid a premium for easy to assemble knock-down furniture.
Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw364jomMrM

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Ikea REGISSÖR ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POR4mwOZjsY

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 3:01:47 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:

As far as I know, the Ikea line came out in late 2014. By that point I had already put together more of that Wally World furniture than I care to mention. It always turned out that we didn't know what they needed until th e weekend they were moving in. Then, while the girls were out buying shower curtains and laundry detergent, Dad was pounding plastic dowels into particle board.
One time I was halfway through putting together a Wally World dresser in a cramped hotel room when my daughter called. "Hey Dad, I just ran into the landlord. She said they will dropping off a dresser tomorrow so you don't have to put that one together." If you think building those things is a PITA, try taking one apart and putting it back in the box. I was ready to eat the $60 and throw it in the dumpster.
Jared Joyce was pushing his 5 Minute Furniture idea back in 2012, maybe even earlier. Had it been available back then I would have at least looked at the price and weighed the pros and cons.

Or Not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjE4q2EyzoQ

"Leon" wrote in message

Seems staged... but then again, I run into people all the time who don't grasp the simplest mechanical things!

Yeah it looked like one of those infomertials that uses complete idiots. The kicker however is that It appears that if you fit something wrong there is no going back.
On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 5:51:29 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

sy

Still, 17 minutes is a lot quicker than it takes to put together one of tho se Wally World units. I'd like to try the Ikea system since I am familiar w ith the plastic dowel/cam and post system that Sauder and the other manufac turers use.
On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 15:02:37 -0400

whenever i see ikea furniture i am amazed at how well the meet the demand for that market
the honeycombed panels are a great idea
but i am also glad because there are discerning buyers that will not buy ikea furniture so that leaves a market for woodworkers/artisans