HVAC part seemed very expensive

My heat went out over the weekend. I have an AC unit outside and a gas heat unit in the attic with a blower fan attached to it. The AC connects into the blower allowing the heat and AC to come out of the same register.

The service guy said he replaced a fan that is used to send the combustilbe or CO2 out the exhaust or something like that. It cost $385 for the fan.

The problem that I found originally was that the Tsats would click on and the ignitor solenoid would make noise for a few seconds than stop, then the tsat would click off.

Does that sound right?

Jason

Reply to
jw007

We don't have enough information. But at the moment it sounds possible that was a reasonable bill.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It could have been just a capacitor, but we have no way of knowing how big the fan was, if they replaced the motor and the fan, or just the motor, and the nusiance and overhead charges involved (and possible higher charges on weekends). So we have no idea without more details so at the moment I'd have to speculate that they were being reasonable. Try posing back more details if you want a better answer.

Reply to
scott_z500

I just got it fixed today, Monday. So no weekend rate. Here's the thing...It wasn't the fan. At least not the blower fan. I know that worked because if I moved the tstat to fan air came out of the vents. That's why I feel like I got taken. Unless there is some other small fan that is used internally that releases CO2 fumes or vents the gas line or something that would keep the pilot light from lighting. I had the unit worked on once before and the guy replaced a part inside the ignightor for less than 100 bucks including the service call. The unit never got to ignite the pilot so I don't see how a fan would be the problem. I would think that the ignitor was bad.

Jason

Reply to
jw007

It could have been just a capacitor, but we have no way of knowing how big the fan was, if they replaced the motor and the fan, or just the motor, and the nusiance and overhead charges involved (and possible higher charges on weekends). So we have no idea without more details so at the moment I'd have to speculate that they were being reasonable. Try posing back more details if you want a better answer.

Reply to
scott_z500

Just a guess but what you describe sounds like the "inducer" which is a small blower that moves the combustion products through the heat exchanger and out the external vent. Typically the control circuitry for the furnace will sense that the blower is running (via an air-pressure switch) before starting the rest of the lighting sequence. IIRC in my furnace the inducer comes on for a couple of seconds before the gas solenoid and igniter activate.

I'd guess that the actual cost of the little blower might have made up

1/3 of the bill. The rest was probably the labor involved in the troubleshooting and replacement. Not rocket science but the knowledge of what to do when is seldom cheap even if the parts involved are.
Reply to
D.A.K.

High efficiency furnaces have a draft fan that pulls combustion air in, and forces the exhaust out. They don't depend on the heat of the exhaust for the draft.

If the draft fan doesn't start the combustion airflow, the furnace won't light.

Said fan is independent of the fan that circulates the heated air.

Reply to
John Hines

Inducer fan (exhaust gas) on an 80% furnace. This must start and run for x seconds before the igniter will light the burner. After the burner has been on for y seconds the blower motor (blows air to the registers) starts.

No comments about the price except to say it includes labor, overhead and profit.

Reply to
Colbyt

'Unless there is some other small fan that is used internally that releases CO2 fumes or vents the gas line or something that would'

You mean 'CO" . CO2 is carbon DIOXIDE.

Look on the bill and see what he said he put in ; if its a draft inducer assembly, then, $385 incl. labor is a bit high...unless he had to make a special trip to get one and charged you the time required. If he charged you $385 just for the Inducer...then he clipped you. ALways ask for the old part(s) replaced -- you have the right to them...they are yours.

Reply to
DN B

jw007 wrote on 17 Jan 2005:

True so far.

So, knowing virtually nothing about how modern furnaces work, you think you got taken because you didn't get an explanation you understood from the repair person?

Bingo! Because the exhaust gases of modern furnaces are cooler, many use a fan to force a draft up the chimney. Until the fan is running and the draft exists, the ignitor won't ignite. If it did, the combustion gases could backdraft into your house, killing you.

See, you just went from having the solution to getting it wrong again.

Now, was the price you paid for the fan fair? We can't tell until we know the brand of the furnace, its model, and the affiliation of the repair person. I can tell you that if you had a Lennox draft inducer fan it costs an arm and a leg, and if a non-Lennox affiliated service person trys to buy one for you, you'll really be screwed.

All-in-all, it sounds as if you were treated fairly, as most of the other posters have said.

Reply to
Doug Boulter

Maybe, maybe not. COST on inducers for some furnaces are close to $300! Most should retail for $200 -$250 range, but there are some killers out there, and some that are cheaper. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I agree that you have the right to the old parts if you want them. I always offer them to my customers and if they do not want them, I ask to throw them in their garbage unless it is something large or something that needs special disposal. I have no need for them or their taking up space on my truck. As for the price, I don't see how anyone can comment because there just isn't enough information. IF it was a draft inducer assembly as has been speculated, in my price book they run from $285 to over $600 installed depending on the make and model of the equipment. About all I can say about the price is that it does fall within that range.

Bobby

Reply to
BGBevill

This is Turtle.

There is two fans on it. A Vent fan for CO from burners and a air blower fan to move air in the house. Either one of these fans being replace can run you $300.00 something atleast. Unless i was standing there looking at the job. I could not say as to anything on this job as to what with the little info you give.

Now to being ripped off here. I have not read anything that would lead me to say that here at all.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hey DipShit, he said 'for the fan' not 'bill'

Once more you prove your stupidity!

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

All units that have HSI, have an inducer fan (for exhausting flu 'CO' gases), if it fails...you have no ignition!

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Not completely true, what about single pipe systems, the inducer pulls the gases through the heat exchanger and blows them outside, but the combustion air can be readily available without the fan.

But, in no way will the furnace ignite with a locked inducer motor.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

After it first closes the pressure switch.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

How in the hell can you price an inducer assembly, without knowing the Make and Model of the unit in question?

Have you priced any Carrier/Bryant...Lennox shit lately??

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Thanks for the info. I have no problem paying for someone's time and effort. The guy did go off somewhere else to get the needed part. I run a business myself and I unde3rstand the costs involved. Like I said I don't have a problem paying for it.

I think I would have been better off if I had the problem explained to me better, and were able to see the part. That was what lead me to be suspiscious. That and my ignorance of the HVAC unit.

Thanks again.

KJPRO-- Lighten up Francis. You're ugly comments are counter productive.

Reply to
jw007

You asked for help. I come over here to do so, point out the other posters bad or incorrect advice then you tell me to chill??

F*ck you, chill on that!

I thought I was nice in this thread as to the way I replied to the others, you don't like it, tough!

Have a wonderful day.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~