Veritas low angle block plane

Page 1 of 2
I just got mine, and this plane is really well made and designed! It is heavy and prescision machined to no fault. Everything is nice and thick. Do I detect mini magnets screwed into the sides? The keep the blade centered right at the mouth.
I have a block of soft wood and tried it out, don't know what the wood is but looks like a medium dark red mahogany.
I set the blade two hairs out and the mouth four hairs open. This plane jointed the wood of previous inaccuracies left by a fettled and sharpened Bailey #5! In any case, I am superlatively impressed by the quality and can only say, the price is entirely worth it! Buying more in the future!
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

Thanks. Which ones do you have?
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

David wrote:

You suck.
Hey, you gotta tell 'em what you want for Christmas when the family asks! Otherwise you'll be getting ties, slippers, and junk. :)
Dave
Silvan wrote:

This Christmas my wife and I presented my parents with the Lee Valley Christmas catalog with the items we wanted circled -- red for me, green for her.
We are both very satisfied with what we got.

Oh... you lucky blessed DOG!
Alex

Last week I wanted to put a nice edge on about 8 feet of edging. I was trying to decide on a roundover bit or a bevel bit on the router. Then I spotted the LV plane and put a nice edge with a few passes of the plane. It is just so sweet to glide along making a thin swirl of wood shaving. Much quieter and cleaner than using a router.
Enjoy the plane. Every shop should have one.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Yep, I find myself going tail-less more and more also. A low-angle block plane to break the edges instead of using a sander or router. I may actually have made the break-through to using a smoothing plane, a scraper plane, and a scraper instead of the ROS for final finish prep. It's actually faster and quieter than stepping through 5 grits of sandpaper. The only part that is giving me some grief is the transition from rail to stile -- trying to keep that joint area smooth for each of the grain directions is giving me a bit of a problem.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
If you are having difficulty with varying grain patterns, then you need to use a high-angle frog. I love my LN planes, but I find that I need to use the 50degree frog often to avoid tearing out tiny pits of wood.
Also, I rounded the corners of the blades and now leave no irritating edge marks.

I definitely picked-up on that pleasure when I tried mine out for the first time. Just awesome quality!
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

I have two of their planes, a wheel marking gage, and a spokeshave. Their latest tool I have is a less than $20 tool, the 3 in 1 marking gauge. If you haven't paid attention to it, you should. :-)

Oh zhees I had seen that in the latest catalog and forgot about it, I coulda had them toss one in the box easily! Oh well, next time.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Try the Saddle Square, it's surprisingly useful. I keep it in the apron, 'cause the marks are rarely where they meet the blade. <G>
Barry
What Barry said.
David
Ba r r y wrote:

Lowell Holmes wrote:

Yeah, I've got that one on order (plus that file/rasp holder thingie). :-)
I've got a "few" of their tools ... like the low-angle block, low-angle spokeshave, three wheel marking gages (hey, that way I can leave them set up for repeat marking during a long project), their #80 clone, low-angle smoother, #151 spokeshave, scraper plane, marking knife, dovetail marking gages, sharpening jig, etc., etc.
IMHO, they are all (with the exception of the sharpening jig) outstanding tools and excellent values.
Chuck Vance (no affiliation ... other than the one a drug addict has with his dealer)
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:01:46 -0600, Conan the Librarian

Chuck, what was it that you did not like about the sharpening jig?
thos

I'm not Chuck, but I'll step in and say that the way the blade is held down is a problem. A brass screw holds the blade in place, but there is nothing to prevent the blade from twisting side to side except for friction. And when it twists counter-clockwise (when viewed from above) then it loosens the screw and can slip. They really need to fix that.
-j

down
the
can
You can fix it. I have these pieces of plastic I use to fill out the width for my blades.
If they do it, I imagine it'll look like the lateral limiters on their planes.