Varnish and lacquer

Dear Experts,

What do people here know about the different types of varnish, lacquer and other clear gloss wood finishes?

I have made a small object from black walnut and I would like to finish it with a very high-gloss surface. One option that I've considered is spray-on varnish (which describes itself as polyurethane). Internet research (i.e. the Wikipedia "Lacquer" page) tells me that there are also lacquers based on acrylic and other materials. A friend has shown me something that he has given a very deep high-gloss finish to using epoxy resin! What is the best way to get a good result, without needing years of practice?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Phil.

Reply to
Phil Endecott

Polyurethane is pretty much idiot proof for a beginner. Next step is to learn how to use a buff.

Reply to
bw

It is? Sand some between coats and tell me what you find.

Stain and poly are their own punishment.

-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke

Reply to
Larry Jaques

---------------------------------- Enough to get into trouble.

-----------------------------------

Ever see any black high gloss jewelry boxes?

Most are done in lacquer.

Since the project is small, a couple of rattle cans of high gloss lacquer should do the job.

Where is Robert when you need him?

Ahoy Nailshooter.

You out there?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Shellac. Orange / amber gives a nice warm tone to newly surfaced walnut (or cherry), which can be a bit on the cold side, unlike the wood that's had 50+ years to age that you're trying to imitate. To get high gloss, let cure for a week or three, then wet sand through 600 and rub out -- same with lacquer. Varnish is a great protective finish, beautiful rubbed out to satin, but you'll never get as high a gloss as you can with shellac (you can fill and French polish an ash baseball bat so that it literally feels like glass, smooth and cold) or lacquer, even the Minwax brush-on stuff. Too soft. A coat of paste wax to truly finish the job knocks the gloss up a notch more.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Something from experience, regardless of the finish used the higher the gloss the more the imperfections, low & high spots, and coarseness of grain will show, like a sore thumb. Your surface must be perfect.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, that's the sort of thing that I have in mind, except showing the wood rather than blackness.

Could you perhaps post a link to the product that you have in mind? My searches mainly find sprays to go over metalic car paint, and I doubt that's the same thing.

Thanks, Phil.

Reply to
Phil Endecott

You didn't say what the "small object" is, so a definitive recommendation can't be made. Shellac is fine...for some things, but it may have to be waxed to protect it from some things that attack shellac.

You could use Deft Brushing Lacquer (it comes in an aerosol, but I like brushes for fussy work), which is harder and more impervious. Multiple coats, with fine sanding in between can be easily done in a day.

RicodJour

Rustoleum, Krylon, TrueValue, Plastikote and some others all make gloss black lacquer spray paint. just google gloss black lacquer spray

Here's one

willshak

dadiOH

But I don't want black, I want clear.

My local hardware shop has a shelf of Plastikote spray products including the clear PU varnish that I mentioned before, and another product that seems intended to be applied over a matt painted finish to make it glossy.

Cheers, Phil.

Reply to
Phil Endecott

for fingernails...

There are a few products like this one:

claim to be "acrylic lacquer". Is that the sort of thing you have in mind?

Cheers, Phil.

Reply to
Phil Endecott

I've found this page, which seems to be comprehensive:

thoughts?

Phil.

Reply to
Phil Endecott

It finds... Rustoleum Permalac Moeller Marine Ace Watco Behlen Qualalacq

And via the "spray clear lacquer" link at the bottom, Krylon and others. It also links sites for info about using them. You can also find various brands at any Home Depot or Lowes. _________________________

> which claim to be "acrylic lacquer". Is that the sort of thing you > have in mind?

As far as I am concerned, "lacquer" is a material such as nitrocellose that will redissolve in its thinner. I don't hink acrylic does that.

Reply to
dadiOH

Regarding its notes about spraying lacquer, I would skip stain, sanding sealer and sanding between coats (unless you got crud in it). I would also pass on anything water base; as I said elsewhere, I want lacquer to re-dissolve in its thinner, makes life world's easier.

Reply to
dadiOH

I went through gallons of Deft. Cool stuff. A bit stinky but lies down nicely. But I have never attempted a high gloss (wet look). I have used acrylic clear coat for that with great success. Expensive though.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
lektric dan

Thanks, I'll look them up.

(FYI, Google returns different results depending on your geographical location and other factors.)

Phil.

Reply to
Phil Endecott

Oh, Sorry. I guess I was distracted by Lew's mention of black jewelry boxes.

Reply to
willshak

Yeah, the posted link was what Google gave for my location; nevertheless, it gave all I mentioned and they are available everywhere.

Reply to
dadiOH