question about lacquer toughness

Between projects I pulled out the can of brush on lacquer I picked up about a month ago. I brushed it on some scrap white oak and put on several coats over a few days. I was showing it to a coworker since it really looked good and he asked how tough it was, I wasn't sure. Anyway he scratched right through it with his fingernail. Is this normal? did I do something wrong? I know some places use this for kitchen cabinets and you'd think it would be tougher then that. Thanks

Reply to
Mike S.

it's brittle because it's hard. Something must have been wrong with either the lacquer or the application method.

Reply to
mark

Lacquer is brittle - not tough.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I don't know how long it was between application and scratching but lacquer does take awhile to fully cure. As for using it on cabinets, cabinet doors and sides do not normally get a lot of use that would cause scratching. When they do get marred lacquer is easier to repair then a varnish.

Reply to
MikeG

Reply to
nospambob

Thanks for all the info. I did google first but didn't find a answer to this question. Again thanks.

Reply to
Mike S.

Mike, the lac won't reach full hardness for many weeks. I did a scratch test on some lac and was disappointed in the results. I scratched the sample again a couple weeks later; still not great. Now, more than 2 months later, that sample is damn hard to scratch with a fingernail. But it still isn't the must durable finish you can apply. C-V will beat easily beat lacquer if you are spraying a table top and need the utmost in scratch resistance.

David

Mike S. wrote:

Reply to
David