Utility Knife

Page 3 of 4

RicodJour wrote:

I found a similar one in a "multi pack" at Home Depot. I reload the used blade in reverse to utilize the other side.
Tom M.

I've been using one like in this link for a couple years, nice in the back pocket( no blade storage ). It's been abused and loosened and then tightened up. I think newer versions "might" be better, but haven't needed a newer one. I'm really not allowed around "sharp" items.......
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn5257
I once saw a blurb from OSHA stating that the most dangerous hand tool was indeed the lowly utility knife. I also recall that the most dangerous industrial tool is the forklift. This didn't surprise me. In the factory I used to work in we had a guy killed by a forklift that hit him as he was crossing through a walkway area.
Richard Johnson PE Camano Island, WA
P.S. I happen to like the Stanley I have. It has a scissor-like handle that unlocks with a button to allow blade changes. It stores five blades inside and holds the active blade quite securly. Blade changes take about 5 seconds. And like Rico's new toy, one of the best features is it's bright yellow color. Makes it easy to find even in bad light. I have a bunch of others, but I always seem to go back to this one.
Rich-out-West wrote:

Toy?! Okay buddy, that's it - utility knives at two paces!
The Stanley knife you have is my old favorite, the one I misplaced (I don't lose things ;), 'cepting mine was grey. It's a good knife. The Lawson is better.
I'm always amazed that Stanley still sells knives that you need a tool to open. Remember when you needed a screwdriver to open the computer up? Dinosaur era technology.
RicodJour wrote:

I bought a Starrett utility knife a couple of weeks ago. It had good heft and was very comfortable in the hand. It required a screwdriver to change blades. Worse still, the thumb push blade retractor broke right off after about 2 days. Maybe I can find a Mitutoyo one someplace!
I'm going to check out the Lawson and the Lenox. I had the Stanley that sort of split open and it crapped out on me too. I'm using an ancient fixed blade Stanley (199?) right now. The screw's damn near stripped clean! But you can't break it.
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

Correction - the knife that crapped out was one that had an automatic blade changing mechanism. I think it might have been a Sheffield. It was sort of bulky, and you'd pull the blade retractor mechanism all the way back to grab a new blade. It worked rough from the get go, and crapped out after a month or so of average (for a construction worker) use.
JP

Most frequent kitchen accident? . . . . . . per ER stats, hand slices from bagel cutting.
Well, you'll be glad to know, the new autoloading utility knife works! I drew some blood with it. ;)

This puts you in the "no sharp instrument" filter......
Orne "My doctor says I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

must be at least a dozen times maybe even two dozen. Only once seriously but these are nasty tools. The Olfa allows you to leave 3 inches of razor sharp blade exposed. Great for cutting insulation batts but very dangerous as well. The upside of an Olfa is you always have a sharp point due to the snap off blade meaning it doesn't slide across surfaces an attack you like the regular utility knife blades.
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:02:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

I've cut myself many times: the worse was slipping on the edge of a jagged tile, give me a knife - won't hurt so bad.
I saved my fingers early by leaving one butcher shop apprentice job as a teen.

Try hopping an 8ft rusty barbed wire chain link fence as a kid and the wire snaps as you go over the top holding it between the barbs. You fall and natural tendance is to grasp hands closed. First time I saw my bones not on an x-ray.
OK, so it's not a tool story. Made ya cringe though didn't it?
p.s. Yep, just looked. Scar still there from wrist to almost tip of middle finder.
Oren wrote:

But I thought _dull_ tools were the dangerous ones! ;)
I always get some nick or cut on every project. The lion's share being little more than a scrape. But it happens on every project. Some projects I'm cruising along nicely, nearing the end, and I haven't cut myself. Ohmigod! It's going to happen, it's going to sneak up on me and happen! Don't think for a moment that it's some sort of neuroses, because the psycohses have killed them off. Yet, inevitably, it happens.
The world is funny like that.

It's why I' not allowed the devices. I have a collection knives and supervise myself, little does it help.
Oren
Its little off topic but a good while back I bought some blades, they were called "blue blades" from Irwin. Anyways I have gone through countless blades but these ones outlasted every other brand I have used by at least 2x.They flex rather than break too, which I liked.
I don't drywall at all anymore and I have little use for blades. If I did I would buy a lot though. As soon as they make something good it usually gets yanked from the market since it cuts future margin. Either that or they will slowly reduce the quality.
Home Depot has a nice knife. It's like a lock back jacknife but with a replaceable blade. The blades are regular utility blades. This knife on ebay isn't exactly like the one I have but it will give you an idea of what it looks like. Because it folds up, I carry it in my pocket all the time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/UTILITY-KNIFE-POCKET-KNIFE-NEW-W-EXTRA-RAZORS_W0QQitemZ7592453539QQcategoryZ46578QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
--
JerryD(upstateNY)

http://tinyurl.com/r8poc
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Haven't see it mentioned, but I have a full sized utility knife that uses snap off blades like the smaller Olfa knife. I don't always use it whenever a knife is needed, but when I'm doing a lot of cutting like slicing up leather, it's handy to be able to snap off 1/2" of blade and have a new edge for immediate use. Works out a quite a bit faster and cheaper than replacing a number of regular utility blades.

much longer than most blades. I have a Mastercraft that uses regular 2 point blades that is very easy change but rarely use it.
This my Olfa very heavy duty and scary as hell with the blade extended. http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/olfablades_1876_3789649 * Largest and heaviest snap-off knife on the market * Uses blades that are 40% larger than conventional knife blades * Unbreakable ABS handle * Stainless-steel blade channel * Ratcheting wheel lock * Anti-slip rubber grip * Includes one blade