USPS vs UPS [What's the opposite of Gloat]

Page 3 of 3
I agree completely with the comments made so far re: USPS v UPS.
I used to mail order thins from he US fairly regularly and I learned the hard way about the infamous UPS "brokerage fee". After that though, when I ensured that the shipper used USPS, I had no trouble and Canada Post only charged the applicable taxes and teh $5 fee as they are supposed to.
But - and it's a big but, Last week I ordered something from ebay and the shipper wanted to ship UPS. I did a bit of an email discussion with him and he assured me that eh could ship via UPS and there woudl be NO fees.
Well, since I had not discussed this prior to winning the auction, and since I like to think you can trust people, I agreed to him shipping via UPS.
Lo and Behold! The item arrived in 4 days, in great condition and there WERE NO ADDITIONAL FEES!!! I asked the guy how he managed this and he said that he shipped it with a declared value of $80.00 and that there are no fees. I don't know how this works, and I am still going to insist on shipping via USPS but maybe, sometime, UPS might not suck.

There could be two other factors at play here: 1) UPS expedited shipping includes brokerage; UPS Ground to Canada doesn't. 2) You will likely be getting an invoice in the mail in the next week or two from a customs broker closely associated with UPS. Unlike the post office that seems to let most small packages through, UPS has to collect tax on everything. Wouldn't surprise me if they add a "disbursement fee" too.
Last week I got a $45 circuit breaker off eBay. The seller said he'd use USPS, but apparently that message didn't get through to his shipper who used UPS. Package arrived COD with a $29+ brokerage charge (and $2 GST on that to add insult to injury). So UPS Ground is definitely still collecting outrageous brokerage fees.
Let us know if you do get invoiced.
Tim
Same Here,
Won an 18 ga brad nailer on Ebay .. Seller sends by UPS .. surprise ... a $38.40 plus GST Brokerage Fee .. a real surprise for a $69.00 tool. (The total bill was $53.08 CAD)
I will not use UPS for anything shipped from the US !!! ( In fact now with even domestic parcels I state no UPS !!! ) ... USPS to Canada Post ... at max they only charge a $5 CAD handling fee plus taxes.