Update on Home Depot rebate

Page 2 of 2

You have to remember that 84 Lumber is really a contractor supplier that is open to the public, their primary customer are contractors who buy *TONS* of lumber for building houses. They only sell to the general public to make extra money.
I had a friend who managed an 84 Lumber, he was nice enough to give me one of their really nice, warm jackets with my name embroidered on it when an employee of the same name quit. :)

Several years most all stores except grocery stores were closed on Sunday because of the "Blue Law" in Texas.
Leon wrote:
> Several years most all stores except grocery stores were closed on Sunday > because of the "Blue Law" in Texas.
Blue laws in Pennsylvania had major league baseball stopping a game played on Sunday afternoon by 5:00PM or something close to that time, for many years.
Lew

Man, I remember that. And you couldn't necessarily buy just *anything* from the grocery store either, some merchandise was "not available on Sunday".
When I first moved to Dallas from Colorado, I needed to do some shopping, so one weekend, after church I headed down to one of the malls, expecting it to open at noon. At about 12:20, I slunk away hoping noone had seen me :-(
On Mon, 21 May 2007 14:28:19 GMT, "Leon"

When we first moved to Chicagoland in the early '70s, the grocery stores were open reasonable hours (9-9, or something like that) but you couldn't buy fresh meat after 6 P.M. even if it was already cut and wrapped (they'd pull the packages in from the shelves at 6). I don't know how long it had been that way, but it did get changed a few years after we got there.
On the other hand, by the time we left Chicagoland in the late '90s, we had lobby hours at the bank seven days a week. It was only 10-4 on Saturdays and noon to 2 or something like that on Sundays, but we could get inside service until 6 or 7 every day of the week. Similarly, drive through hours were seven days, and during the week they were open until 7 or 8 P.M. I don't remember the weekend hours, but they were commensurately long.
When we got down to Florida in '99, we found that if we didn't get to the bank M-F we didn't get inside. And forget drive-through on the weekends, too. It's starting to improve with limited lobby (and drive-in) hours on Saturday, but the lobby still closes at 4 P.M during the week--still nowhere near Illinois.
Of course back in the day ('50s and '60s) banks were closed altogether on Wednesdays as well as the weekend. I think that may have been all over. It was certainly true in NY and FL. Not for nothing did they used to call it "bankers hours."
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
On Mon, 21 May 2007 03:28:12 GMT, Lew Hodgett

You'd never do it today though. When the competition is open 24/7, you need to be as well, especially since they can almost certainly beat your prices.
Personally, I'd love to find good lumber places open 24/7, you wouldn't believe how many times I run out of something at 11pm or so and have to stop for the night.
The local NBC TV station is on the rampage.
They have consumer reporter who has taken on the poor service provided by Home Depot sub contractors.
The reporter is very good at digging out information.
Should be fun.
Stay tuned.
Lew
Looks like Home Depot is trying to "Stonewall" their subcontractor issues.
Since the NBC-TV station is ultimately owned by General Electric, things could get very interesting, since VERY deep pockets are involved.
Don't be surprised if investigative reports about Home Depot don't start showing up in your market, if NBC is there.
Should be fun.
Stay tuned.
Lew

Its all dependent on smart management. We have a hardware store near by that has been around for a very long time. Within 7 or 8 miles are 5 or 6 Home Depots and Lowe's. The hardware store has a staff of 7 to 8 employees at any given time that on you like a duck on a June bug when you step inside the store and all know exactly where every thing is. If your item will not fit inside a bag they carry the purchase out to your car or truck. Prices are cheaper than the Borg's for the exact same items. They are growing and have been growing for years. It's all about service.

the
all
I'll second that! We have a small one not too far from me and I've been shopping there for 20 years. What has always astounded me is the knowledge of all of the staff, including the teenage girls who appear and disappear over the years. Best place to get some obscure piece of hardware and some advice. If you ask for something common, they generally figure you know what you're doing. If you ask for something out of the ordinary, they'll ask what you want it for and often steer you to something better. If they don't have it and can't tell you where to find it, you didn't need it.
Lobby Dosser wrote:
> If you ask for something out of the > ordinary, they'll ask what you want it for and often steer you to > something better. If they don't have it and can't tell you where to find > it, you didn't need it.
Shades of Ralph's Pretty good grocery in Lake Wobegon.
Just ask Garrison.
Lew
Bill Stock wrote:

In all fairness, they probably sent the rebate check.
In an envelope with a return address like:
Sweepstakes Center 11 Cock Walk Way Erehwon, MA
With a "Standard Rate" (Bulk mail) postage marking.
Thereby encouraging you to toss the sucker unopened.

I believe they send gift cards, so more likely stolen in the mail.

When I had problems at the local HD store, I went to the top. They didn't fix the process, but they sent me a gift card that covered the extra costs involved.
Try this contact in the CEO's get-them-off-my-back office ;-)
Michael Tyus 800-654-0688 x86751
John

Rebates are a gimmick to trick the consumer. Most people who submit rebate offers forget about them, which puts the store ahead of the game. I don't use them.

Pretty typical, I firmly believe that they don't intend to pay out many of these. many customers forget or don't follow it up, I suspect they only finally pay out some 10-20%.
I have sent off about $400 worth of rebate coupons and got back about $370, but you have to get pretty aggressive with some of these scumbag places.
Keep records and photocopies, (cert mail if it's a large rebate) and follow up at the 11th day if they say "7-10 days"
Establish a track record of becoming a PITA. Complain to the Better Business or write a stinging letter to a magazine that they advertise in.
When you buy, hassle the store manager about how you get ripped off with rebates, and how do I know this one will work out. Tell him you will initiate a class action suite against his chain if you don't get it. (There was a lawyer in CA a few years ago that did this with some chain, CompUSA? IIRC)

If you want to get legal on them without being out anything personally, call your local Attorney General office and ask for the consumer protection division. Usually one call from these guys and you're rebate will show up.
Mike O.

I would return the item to the store and when asked what the problem is, tell them they defaulted on the rebate.
Chuck

LOL, I like this idea best of all. But you'd probably get some clerk who would not bat an eye and I'd be out a planer.
All things being equal, I'd buy the same planer gain. There actually was no rebate when I bought, it came two days after I purchased. So I had them re-issue the sales receipt so I could claim the rebate. (The manager okayed the change).
Try 800-793-3768    Press # at each prompt, ignoring messages.