Uniform stain for Pine wood

I'm presently working on a laminated Pine table top that I would like to stain but cannot get the stain to be even colored. The wood sealer and wood conditionner did not give good results. The wood was properly sanded and prepared but still end up with dark and light laminated boards that do not match. Is there anyhing I can use before the stain in order to unify the color of the stain? Thanks,
You need to use a wood conditioner with pine to get a even finish.
Al

Didn't read the post, did you?

Well yeah I did, I found you had to use one for pine. Maybe its the type of pine or the type of conditioner that he is having troubles with I don't know.
Al

On Wed, 10 May 2006 21:26:44 -0400, "carol dufour" <

I've been using clear Minwax oil first on spruce/pine - let "dry" for a day or so. This seems to even out the different absorbtion rates in the wood. Then the colored oil or gel stain. Several coats if I want a darker look.
Or if the piece looks good with the clear oil, that's all it gets.
Pete
Hi Carol, Conditioner at it's best will reduce or prevent blotching ( uneven staining on a given area of a given board). It will not make two adjacent boards take stain the same way. If you want to do that you have to "tone" ( a form of painting) the pieces. Generally this is done by first putting on a clear coat and then applying the stain over the clear coat. Spraying is the normal way of applying the stain. Cheers, JG
carol dufour wrote:

Newbie suggestion/question:
Would a water based stain give better results?
No... and it will raise the grain.
She needs to use a "toner"....
RayV wrote:

You are stuck with a few choices:
(1) Finish with a spray can of "toner" to even things up. (2) Gel stain will do a similar but not as good a job as option 1. (3) Burn the table top and start again.
Toner acts like a "painted" finish and will cover the entire project with a very fine mist of color if done correctly.
You can buy toners here: http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/BehlenAerosol2.html
and many other places that sell finishing materials.
You can also learn to mix your own and spray it yourself.
carol dufour wrote:

Gel stains work fine on most. The problem with pine is uneven absorption. So, sanding can be important. Sand to 220. Shellac is a wonderful conditioner, glue size works as well. It cases the absorption of stain to be even. Always test over and over before doing the whole thing. I never found the water based conditioners very good. You should raise the grain with water if using water based finish otherwise try sealing with 1/2# cut shellac. You can use orange shellac dilluted if you want the orange color otherwise blond or other nearly clear shellac. Shellac flakes last the best. Then stain, then finish. You can dry brush as well which is taking a nearly dry brush and brushing over a blotchy area trying to blend with a non blotchy area, and even out color. Sometimes works great. MB R

What color are you trying to stain it?
Dave
Hi, Thank you for your responses. The color of the gel stain is Cherry. After many attempts, I finally found a way with the conditionner which gave more acceptable results. Thank you all,