Walnut Picture Frame Splines=Chippy?

I made a cherry picture frame tonight and made walnut splines about 1/4" thick in all four corners. I flushed them with a flush trim hand held saw and them fine tuned with a chisel. I had problems with chips breaking off in the corners (very small).

I was tempted to cut them close then use a flush trim bit in the router. Do you think that would have worked better or worse?

Any suggestions? Words of wisdom?

Reply to
stoutman

What about a low-angle block plane?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

"stoutman" wrote in news:Fzw8g.36049$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com:

I did some smallish boxes with similar corner keys. Had the same problems with walnut keys.

So no words of wisdom, just sympathy.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

A little hand sanding with a block aint going to kill you. Only takes a few seconds.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

How did you cut the splines off the walnut board? If you crosscut your splines, next time try ripping them. Also, don't cut too flush with your saw and sand the rest off to be on the safe side.

Reply to
Swingman

I would try to change the orietation of the grain, and make sure the chisel is as sharp as possible

Reply to
henry