TS-Aligner Fall 2006 Promotional Offer!

Page 4 of 5

As a member of this group for 6 years I've rarely seen Ed mention his product, but I have seen him many times add helpfull advice to us. I also appreciate his giving the opportunity to purchase it at half price. I purchased mine at full price & think it's a great product
Ken
notmenotnow wrote:

Might want to look before you leap - to a conclusion.
The gentleman in question has been an active contributor to this group for at least 7 years that I know of, has a very well thought out and useful set of set up devices product line which he often makes available to members of this group at special prices.
I have a Robland combination machine which has a dovetail shaped miter slot that's quite different from what is found no Delta and PowerMatic table saws. Mr. Bennett modified one of his TS-Aligner Junior Deluxe units to accomodate the Robland - at no additional cost. He has since added a Robland version of the TS-Aligner to his product line. I hope my recomendation of the TS-aligner to members of the yahoo Robland X31 group resulted in some sales for Mr. Bennett, and made setting up the X31 a little easier for members of the group.
Oh, BTW - when Steve Knight of Knight Toolworks posts something about a new handplane for sale - PLEASE don't go off on him as a spammer.
And if Doug Stowe posts that he has a new book out DON'T call him a spammer either.
If a Mr. Lee posts what you may think is an ad for a product let it slide - and do a google search on Groups - subject "Lee Valley" or -author "Robin Lee".
You're new here. Chill a little and get to know the group a little better before going off on someone. Lots of folks here with a lot of knowledge and experience to share - much of which you will find very useful.
Welcome to the group. Look foreward to your questions and answers.
charlie b
PS - add Pat Warner to your list of people not to call spammers (how could I forget him in my previous post? dumb!)
charlie b
Thanks Charlie,
I'm not sure that there is anybody around to remember, but I think I posted my first message to the group in 1994 (about 12 years ago!). Perhaps some people still remember the dark days of the "Bennett Wars". I recently found some of those messages and was pretty embarrassed! What a learning experience.
It was in 1995 that I put a lot of ideas from group members together to create TS-Aligner Jr. (it's why I think that this offer is so appropriate). I cobbled together a prototype and took it with me to the American Woodworker (pre Reader's Digest) show in Philadelphia. It has evolved a lot over the years because of continued involvement from members like you. Thanks!
The page for ordering 16 unit bulk packs of Jr's is now up:
http://www.ts-aligner.com/recwworderform.htm
I hope that this works out well for members of the group, their friends, associates, relatives, and anyone else who is interested. If people really don't think that this is a useful offer, then please let me know what would be better.
I figured that at least one self appointed spam enforcement official would cry foul. I really don't have to do anything for the group. I don't have to share my expertise. I don't have to offer any special deals to rec.woodworking members. I could just sit by, passivly gathering email addresses for a spam list or gleaning ideas for new products, taking advantage of the group without ever offering to return the favor. There are a whole bunch of manufacturers and dealers doing exactly that. They read this group daily and do nothing in return. But, I choose to do things a little differently. And, I'm very encouraged by those who recognize the effort. It leads me to believe that this group still has a lot going for it.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com http://www.ts-aligner.com
charlie b wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com wrote:

I remember when people here used to take you to task for refering to yourself as something like "the inventor of the table saw aligner" in your .sig.
Here's a blast from the past:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/64044217319b60bd?dmode=source&hl=en
Back then you wouldn't have even considered posting an ad in this newsgroup. Now some of the most vocal newbies here, like Mr Miller and Mr Michaels are defending you. How the times have changed.
Anyhow, regarding SPAM:
http://www.spam.com/ci/ci_in.htm
regarding Usenet spam:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.celebrities/msg/7dd136c6963131de?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/bit.listserv.words-l/browse_thread/thread/a75f028a14f076a3/095892df36364c64?lnk=st&q=spam+monty+python&rnum=4&hl=en#095892df36364c64
As to whether or not your ad was appropriate to this newsgroup, well, discussion of what is or is not on topic for rec.woodworking is off-topic for rec.woodworking, isn't it?
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Ummmm.... I'm not exactly a newbie, Fred: my first post to the wreck was more than ten years ago.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

That all? Heck AOL has been gated to Usenet longer than that.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

you've changed your posting ID substantially).
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

I started reading usenet in 1991, and first posted to r.w in 1992.
I bet you've been doing serious woodworking longer than I.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

us have been doing serious woodworking, and posting here, for a long time, and leave it at that.
--
Regards,
And notmenow's apology to Ed, I'm sure, will be forthcoming any time now.
notmenotnow wrote:

I am the proud owner of a TS-Aligner Jr. I don't use it every day, but when I do use it, I find it indispensable. It is a very well-thought-out precision instrument, and I'm quite happy with my purchase. My point is, I never would have known that such a tool existed if it were not for Mr. Bennett's posts to this forum. Thanks Ed, and your occassional "spams" are welcome in my book.
DonkeyHody "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030411sn.html
After aligning the blade parallel to the miter slot the same or a similar tool can be used to align the fence to the miter slot, right?
--

FF

On 3 Nov 2006 09:54:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

This is pretty close to what I use except I mounted a dial indicator to it. It works for both uses for me.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Should just let this thread be - but
Got ANY slop between the piece of wood you slip in the miter slot and the sides of the miter slot? If you do it comes acrossed in your measuring. If you don't then the wood or even UMHW (or is it UHMW - ultra heigh molecular weight) may/will bind in the miter slot as you slide down it to take your second measurment.
Mr. Bennett's product (see how I got around using TS-Aligner?) has three bearings under the part that travels down the miter slot - two fixed and one moveable left/right to eliminate slop while avoiding binding. And they can be removed when not needed - like when checking/setting joiner/planer knives, checking infeed and outfeed tables for parallel with the joiner/planer cutter head, drill press and router run out, . . .
I've got a Robland X-31 - five function combi with a sliding table. More settings inter relationships than you can shake a stick at - and it's a euro machine so there's metric just to make things interesting. The TS-A makes the set up and maintenance a bit easier - and every lit bit helps.
charlie b
ps - Anyone remember Stuart Brandt's (Whole Earth Catalog) bulletin board The Well? Or the IMSAI? 8080, 8080A or 6502 ring any bells? On the first limited production run micro processor that actually worked, there are three letters on it. The last letter is an F. Anyone know what the F stands for? Hint, its the last name of the kid who did the mask drawings. What's his last name?
charlie b (in snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com) said:
| ps - Anyone remember Stuart Brandt's (Whole Earth Catalog) | bulletin board The Well? Or the IMSAI? 8080, 8080A or 6502 | ring any bells?
Still have my IMSAI (but sold off my ASR-38 long ago; but still have my paper tape splicer).
:-)

The BB nope, The Well nope, however 8080 ect. yep I have the paralell scars to prove it to. The last question have no idea, I just fixed Gandalfs stuff.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
charlie b wrote:

Yes.
Yes
Yes, but why did you leave out the 4004? I remember the ACM meeting where Adm. Grace Hopper showed a picture of the chip layout. The first computer for under $1000, IIR what she said. Of course, you had to buy 10,000 or so to get that price :-).

There my memory fails me. But do you remember a minicomputer named Sue?
-- It's turtles, all the way down

No, but I remember a boy named Sue...
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Lockheed came out with the computer shortly after the song, IIRC. The acronym stood for "System User Engineered", a blatant example of reaching a little too far for a catchy name :-).
As delivered, it came with a teletype. After writing a program, I first had to punch it out on paper tape using "ghost" code (4 bits per frame), then:
Load the Fortran compiler. Load my source tape. Punch out the assembler code. Load the assembler. Load the assembler code. Punch out the object code. Load the link editor. Load the object code. Load the subroutine library tape(s), Punch out the executable program. Load the executable program.
All this at an effective speed of 55 baud :-).
If I avoided getting a tape jam in all of that, I then got to test my program and do the whole thing over again if I found a bug. It did tend to make one into a verrry careful programmer :-).
I also got very good at wrapping paper tape by the bowtie method :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down