trunnion misalignment

The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the blade is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by the time I tilt it to 45 degrees.
It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in the same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.
My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by the direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone) is a right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the front when it it tilted.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

You would need to shim the front trunnion; visualize lowering the front of the blade while it is tilted at 45d. .
.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Grizzly has the process in the owners manual. Look at the 444Z TS, the manual is on that page. Not sure if it's the same, but another check.

Larry,
If your TS has two, parallel tie-bars that span the trunnions, I can send you two posts I made several years ago that cover how to do the alignment (plus extra info) that covers that problem. The Delta site also now has the same alignment procedure on their site. Search for model 36-444 manual.
If your email address is valid, I can send the posts directly to you have the two tie-bar style undercarriage or I can repost them if they're applicable.
Bob S.
BobS wrote:

Yes it is, and I would appreciate it. OTOH, it might be useful to others to repost them.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I agree with Larry, a repost would help others (like me) who have this problem with their contractor saw.
RayV wrote:

I got mine fixed. I decided to shim the front trunnion down a lot (1/16") so I'd be sure if it was moving things in the right direction. Turns out it was exactly what I needed. A whole 1/16" of an inch! Sheesh! I've had the saw at least 15 years. It had been a while since I tilted the blade, but it wasn't over a few years ago. And it was OK then. I wonder what put it out of alignment? Oh, well, the problem's fixed so I won't worry about the whys of it.
But I, and apparently at least one other, would still like to see the article.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Possible answer, but it seems kind of old results of a google groups search for the phrase trunnion alignment in rec woodworking, first result, watch the wrap. http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/9c5a538cd74a1cfd/ba9891fbdb787cc3?lnk=st&q=%22+trunnion+alignment%22+group%3Arec.woodworking&rnum=1&hl=en#ba9891fbdb787cc3 Joe
Joe Gorman wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/9c5a538cd74a1cfd/ba9891fbdb787cc3?lnk=st&q=%22+trunnion+alignment%22+group%3Arec.woodworking&rnum=1&hl=en#ba9891fbdb787cc3
Thanks Joe
Joe Gorman wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/9c5a538cd74a1cfd/ba9891fbdb787cc3?lnk=st&q=%22+trunnion+alignment%22+group%3Arec.woodworking&rnum=1&hl=en#ba9891fbdb787cc3
Interesting article. I had searched on "table saw alignment" so of course I missed that one. I've got to learn to specify search terms better :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Perennial question, probably can google for a web site. Has to do with those two rails that hold your motor mount not being coplanar. Get them right with a good flat board and perform the trunnion check.
General info http://www.newwoodworker.com/algntruns.html High-tech http://www.in-lineindustries.com/alineit-test3.html
George wrote:

Thanks George, but neither of those websites, nor any others that Google came up with, dealt with the problem I described. My saw passes all of their tests just fine. They never said "Now tilt the blade and repeat test X" :-).
-- It's turtles, all the way down